Pearl-Fee/Snowie Coturnix Quail Discussion Thread

CoturnixComplex

Crowing
Nov 16, 2018
Main Color Directory

Pearl-fee is said to have been created using falb-fees but I've also never gotten a throwback falb-fee from a pearl-fee (unexpected) and I'm a little unsure of the exact genetic mechanisms going on here. I will probably see if we can get JMF or any of the big guys who know more to chime in at some point. I think it's a simple or incomplete dominant gene with lots of modifiers acting on it.

They can express with either majority black or white patterning, and some lines also have golden-type markings mixed in, which makes me think it's possible that the black tipping is caused by the same gene golden italian/golden speckled lines carry, with a spectrum of base colors from gold to white possible depending on various other modifiers.

They're pretty hard to tell apart at birth, but here's a pearl (top) next to a golden type (bottom).
IMG_20190720_224304895.jpg

Mine are all what I call "dirty pearls", with a bit of gold mixed in.
IMG_20190820_141135852.jpg IMG_20190817_210757937.jpg IMG_20190227_183709149.jpg
IMG_20190516_185945694.jpg

Pearl-fee + silver = "snowie"

IMG_20190418_084006636.jpg

Another interesting note is that while the above normally holds true, I have a normal looking silver male who's thrown both pearl-fee, silver, and snowie males (and the females line definitely didn't carry it). He must have some modifier masking the expression of the pearl genes but letting him pass them along to his offspring.

Have you got this color? Want to know where to find some? Noticed anything unusual about breeding it or any particularly interesting combinations with other colors? Have pictures to share? Join in!

Last edited:
The silver male is so randy that my hens aren't laying, though! He has six hens, so it's not like he doesn't have enough.

I don't friggin know, man. :confused: He had 1 here and she stayed laying and was never overbred.

Maybe my birds are depressed and that's why they're fine in pairs?! This has happened with multiple males I've given away. I am excited to get my shed built where they can at least have more natural light and space. (Although it sounds like I might suddenly start having roo issues!).

I have a pearl male I'm debating passing on. Wish I had a female for you (or me!).

I don't friggin know, man. :confused: He had 1 here and she stayed laying and was never overbred.

Maybe my birds are depressed and that's why they're fine in pairs?! This has happened with multiple males I've given away. I am excited to get my shed built where they can at least have more natural light and space. (Although it sounds like I might suddenly start having roo issues!).

I have a pearl male I'm debating passing on. Wish I had a female for you (or me!).
My falb fee are still a bit young, so they just haven't started yet. I was hoping that the hens I got from you would be laying by now, though. I'm sure they will soon. I just need to be patient.

Back
Top Bottom