Pearl is an Earl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Andeye, May 28, 2011.

1. Andeye

Andeye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Zeeland, Mi
    So I am pretty sure I ended up with a rooster with my purchase of pullets at TSC. But I am not really sure what breed he is either.

[​IMG]

Then I start getting scared this one might be a roo too.

[​IMG]

and I think this girl might be a Black Star, shes the only one I think I have figured out! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is a picture of them together. TSC said they were a week old when I bought them, which would put them at 12 weeks. They look huge to me, but then again, I am a noob. HELP!

[​IMG]

the first picture of the roo was taken today, the rest are a bit older ( couple of weeks ago)

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The first one is a red sex link rooster. Shouldn't have been in the pullet bin since they are sexed by color. The red one looks like it may also be a cockerel (the reason I say that are the very shiny wing and saddle feathers I'm seeing that look rooster-y, but can't see that area well enough to be certain), but the black one is a black sex link pullet. How old are they?

3. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    second one i say hen

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:x2

5. Andeye

Andeye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Zeeland, Mi
    I bought them on March 12 and they were in the pullet bins and said 1 week old. That would make them like 12 weeks, but I just bought 2 pullets from a lady that hatched them that are 14 weeks and they are a ton smaller than my 3 I started with.

The shiny feathers on the red one had me suspicious as well [​IMG] Lord knows I'm not buying from TSC again. ugh

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    He is one handsome dude.

7. homemakerjulie

homemakerjulie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    Quote:Agree with the others, roo, roo, pullet, though the second is on the fence for me. Mostly I was writing to totally second your 'not buying from TSC again' because yeah, they totally don't know a thing! When I got nine from them, I wanted 4 Ancona's and 4 EE's (they threw one in for free). I knew that wasn't what I was getting because they had a picture of what the Ancona chicks were suppose to look like and NONE of the chicks looked like that. I ended up with 5 EE's, a Cochin, and what I am pretty sure is a black sex link female, and still unsure if the others are Barred Rocks or black sexlink boys. I guess if I do go there again, I will be prepared and only grab what I KNOW is what it is suppose to be!

Julie

8. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    Tsc isn't a geat place to buy.. I bought
    9 Banty chicks & ended up with 8 roos
    Outta the mess!!!my friend bought 6 out of
    the next shipment & got 5 roos ..
    Straight run my foot!!

9. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I hate when that happens, my Lucy is now a Louie!

10. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    The first is a roo...
    and I can attest to the bad luck with buying from TSC.

BUT, I also hatched a batch of my own and ended up with 9/10 roos. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by