Pebbles the unwanted chick.

TNBlacktails

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 15, 2012
Union County Tennessee
While I was at the beach on vacation my two bantam hens went broody. Both were sitting within inches of each other ( I believe some of the eggs were messed up while they moved em around.) Then hen that went broody after the first one had chicks within a few weeks , but the hen that had set first didn't have any. The hen that had three chicks eventually got up from sitting and the other hen took over her eggs (with the ones she was already sitting on.) Days later the hen that remained sitting hatched out two more chicks but they went with the already mother of three. Then two days ago I found a new chick dead intact , in the fence . I didn't think much of it at the time. Then yesterday I went out there to find a few chick being PECKED by the mother of five ; I hurriedly opened the coop door and got him/her outa there . I got a plastic tote , my heat lamp, and other chick stuff . The poor little chick had a bloodied eye and neck. I gave it some chick starter and water ,but it didn't seem to help much. I woke up this morning to find it chirping and running around , and the kicker is Im 99% sure it thinks im its momma.
smile.png

Yep you're mama now, for better or worse. Might want to brood them all so the one doesn't get lonely, or at least pick one other for company.

Yeh, I would brood the lot together or see if the other hen that was sitting might have them, because it sounds like your broody's mothering instinct isn't quite there or she doesn't think its her chick because it was late...
Will the other hen take on the lone chick, since she hatched it? If you kept them together it should imprint on her.
Otherwise if it makes you happy, brood it yourself & give it some company
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom