PECKED Backs-MANY PICS ADDED

To make things easier, if you do not have a way to enlarge your run, you might consider selling a few of your hens...I know it's difficult to part with them, but I fear you may have a "never ending" problem if your run is a bit on the small side. Just something to think about! BEST of luck with your girls, and probably by doing the things you mention you're willing to do, the issue should be alleviated!

Quote:
I have two hens, a cuckoo maran and buff orp that are not being pecked. I've not tried to remove them, but I've observed them and they don't do any pecking. They are the docile of the bunch.

Quote:
Thanks so much Wynette!

Besides selling a few hens did I miss something else I should do? Can enlarge run....oh I'll let them free range more, too

hens are smart, I've known some that if you are there they do not pick, but if they think you are gone pick all the time, and the reason I ask what kind of perches, is if they are spaced close a hen on the upper perch will pick the lower one

I think you've got it covered.....I get the feeling this is now a habit, and you just need to be diligent with providing other things to take their attention, and you should be able to break this habit. It's great to hear a member so willing to make changes to accomodate and help her chickens! YOU GO, GIRL!
thumbsup.gif

It sounds as if you're taking every precaution necessary, Cheryl. I'm going to say the biggest reason they're picking is probably the lack of space. Before I expanded my run last year I had 16 birds in a space that was really only suited for maybe 10. Not only were all of my birds a bit more "fussy" but the SLW that were lower on the pecking order ALL had bare backs. My other hens were relentless in their picking. I actually ended up rehoming the SLW 1. because their personalities were not my favorite and 2. because I really couldn't do anything to stop or really help them from being picked. A few months later I expanded the run and this year with a smaller sized flock and more green in their run, I haven't had a picking problem at all.

For now I would try to give the older hens as many things as possible to distract them from their feather picking past time. Free range them as much as you can, like others said this will also help with introducing the teenagers. I would up the protein in their diet, but not too much. When I fed my girls too much BOSS and such their egg production went way down. I've heard sometimes too much protein can do that? Also, how much roosting space do you have for everyone? Are the teenagers and the adults now sharing the same roosts? If they're having to fight over sleeping space, that can get nasty. My girls are very particular about where they go to bed and maybe some of the teenagers are encroaching on your older hens favorite sleeping spots. Everyone having to shuffle around could certainly add to the stress and cause some hens to pick at others to try and get their place back. The last thing that may be necessary to return peace in your flock would be to rehome the biggest "picker(s)". If you can figure out which hen(s) are picking the others and you see the continued behavior not changing, then maybe they need to go live somewhere where they can be part of a different flock to help with their temperament. I know that would be the hardest thing, giving up one of your girls, but it may help immensely in the long run.

ETA: Sorry, it took me a minute to get all of that out of my brain, so now some of it may seem repetitive due to what others have said! Whoops.
tongue.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
They are my babies and deserve the best they can have! Thanks for your advice and wisdom.
bow.gif

I've got 27 chicks ( now 6 weeks old) in the other pen - a handful are roos and then I'll sell the extras, don't want overcrowding there too!

Back
Top Bottom