pecked bare above the tail

mikecoen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Berthoud, Colorado
I have 10 pullets all raised together since Valentine's Day. They have a coop and a tractor which they now get out in every day. Both are 4x8. They get Purina crumbles, not medicated now as at first. They've been out only this past week and love the grass and whatever, thrashing a new 4x8 area each day and then I roll them up to the warmer coop and they go in for the night. So now one has some damaged tail feathers and just up her back is a bare spot about one square inch. I just noticed at bedtime and can watch tomorrow to see who or who all is/are picking on her. Will it help to stop the pecking if I put something on that spot? Should I put the offending bird in time out or what?

second bird is pecked the same way. Several other birds will peck them on this spot above the tail and they turn around and peck themselves there! There is a little blood too. Someone at the feed store said it may be time for molting. Really, they just got these feathers, they are only 9 weeks old! I put dusting powder today in the fresh wood shavings in their coop. I have some medicine for the spot, something called "no Peck" by Rooster Booster company I think.

Back
Top Bottom