Pecked Eyes

foog

Chirping
Jul 11, 2023
Pennsylvania
Went out to feed today, and this was my exact reaction :th
I found the culprit, he’s going to be culled.
How should I go about this? Eye injuries are something I do not have experience with. One eye is scabbed over - the other looks swollen and scabbed, but I can still see an eye. I believe she can see from it as she turns her head to look with it. She drinks and eats, I’m just worried about her eyes.

0B5F56D2-27C9-42AE-9DDC-95A49740FCA9.jpeg

87B1AB2F-8249-45B7-A01C-75FDE821ED59.jpeg

I agree with @Nabiki . I had a male that was severely hen pecked and I thought he'd lost both eyes along with being nearly scalped. I put him in an isolation cage (cat carrier) and gave a gentle saline solution wash to his head wound and eyelids. It took around a week, but eventually one eye and then the other emerged and his head scabbed over. He never regained his head feathers, but his eyes at least worked.

I agree with @Nabiki . I had a male that was severely hen pecked and I thought he'd lost both eyes along with being nearly scalped. I put him in an isolation cage (cat carrier) and gave a gentle saline solution wash to his head wound and eyelids. It took around a week, but eventually one eye and then the other emerged and his head scabbed over. He never regained his head feathers, but his eyes at least worked.
Oh no… some quail can be little devils sometimes. I’m glad his eyes emerged though! This is the worst I’ve had to deal with, I’ve never had such an aggressive roo. He’s been giving me problems all winter, unfortunately I just couldn’t figure out who it was until now! I’m hoping her completely scabbed over eye will be okay, I’m sure the other one will.

I'm glad to see that she's doing better! In my experience, the eyes almost always re-emerge after a chance to heal. I have had the occasional bird lose an eye, but I usually catch it before it gets that bad.
Good to know, thank you!! Eases my mind :)

I had a chick (chicken) with something similar. I put neosporin on three times a day and made sure he couldn’t rub it off and he got both eyes back in less than a week. You couldn’t tell he had it. Also saline solution, a clean separating pen, constant access to food water and when reintroducing put them in a dog house for 20 minutes and then put them in the coop again. Be careful during those twenty minutes they don’t get spooked and jump up and snap there neck.

Back
Top Bottom