Pecked on old hen

eggoland

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Western Colorado
I have an older hen who has almost stopped laying. In the last two weeks the other chickens have started pecking at her wing joints. The first joint from the tip. They have both sides bloody. I have put her in the isolation cage for now. Can I stop this? Is it because she is old? I can't think why they would live with each other for 6 months with no problem & now this. Is it time for chicken soup? In advance thanks for your help.

Awww.....poor old lady. They may see.something is wrong or different about her and are pecking her as most animals might if one of their own may bring in predators by being weaker. She may be unable to clean herself well and they are pecking at her...
If you can give.her.her own area with one friend after spraying bluekote on her wounds.

I am not sure, but I think you will find that even if you separate her, she will die soon, probably from old age. I have seen this happen numerous times. If I leave her, as in they are not pecking enough to bleed, she will be dead one morning, and even if I separate her, she will die.

I know people write in often on how old their hen's are, but really much past 3 years, is a darn old hen. If they have had a strenuous life with lots of free ranging, they don't often live past that, but probably have had a good life.

MrsK

Back
Top Bottom