Pecked Pullet, Q's About Removing Broken But Not Bleeding Feathers

AndysMom103

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I have a 6 month old Buff Crested Polish pullet who unfortunately had a bunch of feathers pulled from her crest. Most of the feathers were removed completely leaving just the open follicle. A few follicles have broken but not bleeding shafts left, ranging from 1/2" to about 1" long. I have cleaned the area and sprayed it with Blu-Kote. I am wondering if I should pull the broken shafts or leave them. I am not sure if they are blood feathers or more mature - and now that I've sprayed her with Blu-Kote, I probably can't tell (a stupid, first-timer maneuver I shant repeat).

Additionally, she is one of two Buff Polish Cresteds in a mixed flock (3 Australorps, 2 Welsummers and 2 Buff Polish Crested). The other Polish is not being picked on, nor are any of the other birds in the flock. I do not know who the aggressor is. Should I remove the injured bird until she is healed or can I attempt to leave her in?

I do have a photo of the injury, but unfortunately, I am a new member and the system isn't allowing me to post an image.

Thank you all,
Jessica

Here's the picture. Its prior to cleaning, and for some reason, it loaded upside down, but it gets the point across.

102410_photo-1.jpg

i would remove the bird from the others till heeled. the broken feathers arnt that big of a deal unless thet are bleeding. its ok to pull them if ya want they will grow back in a couple of weeks. definately pull if its a blood feather cause they act like a straw and wont stop bleeding.gl

If they are not blood feathers I would just leave them. No sense in causing her any more pain after what shes already been through. I would separate her maybe put her and the other polish together so she has some company. She will be happier.

Thank you to both who replied. She spent the night with the flock, as I don't have other accommodations for her right away. I checked on her this morning and it didn't look like she suffered any more abuse overnight. I am going to set her up in my garage with the other Polish as suggested.

I do have a question about reintegrating them with the flock when the time comes. Will the flock recognize them when the time comes, or treat them as new birds and potentially beat them up worse? This is my only concern about segregating the two Polish.

I would either use a cage or large dog kennel and leave them in with the other chickens so they can see them but cant touch. Then there will be no need for reintroduction. If you separate them completely then yes they will be treated as newbies. I have several cages that keep in my coop for bad roosters and mothers with chicks. I havent had to use it for injury yet but its always there if I need it.

Back
Top Bottom