Pecked raw - help!

JAR26

Songster
Mar 3, 2019
New-Brunswick Canada
Help!!

I have 5 Plymouth barred rocks (1 is rooster) and 3 bovin brown. The brown girls are my first birds and i introduced the other ones in the spring. It wasnt easy transition but they eventually all got along except the brown stay together and the plymouth stay together. I havent checked them in 3 days and my husband is the one who was feeding them. Today, saw one of my browns in a corner shivering with her back and butt all scabbed up and feathers plucked. I was shocked!! I have never seen any pecking/plucking blood being drawn on any of my birds before and i should have caught this before it got this bad and I feel terrible. The brown girls have been molting for a while or at least I assumed they were but maybe this is plucking and not molting they are experiencing? A week ago, i took away their outdoor pen extension for the winter....i assumed this is maybe why they got agressive (less distraction).
I isolated the injured bird in a separate coop in my garage. She eats and drinks and poops and also shivers. I read i can give her aspirin in her water and there is and antibacterial spray at my local shur gain i could put on her back.

2 questions: seeing as its getting cold here and she is missing quite a few feathers, should i put a heat lamp up for her?

Also, when do I know it's time to let her go and end her suffering? I want to save her and am prepared to put in the work but if she is just going to suffer all this time and then die...what would be a sign that she is not going to make it?

Thank you!

Help!!

I have 5 Plymouth barred rocks (1 is rooster) and 3 bovin brown. The brown girls are my first birds and i introduced the other ones in the spring. It wasnt easy transition but they eventually all got along except the brown stay together and the plymouth stay together. I havent checked them in 3 days and my husband is the one who was feeding them. Today, saw one of my browns in a corner shivering with her back and butt all scabbed up and feathers plucked. I was shocked!! I have never seen any pecking/plucking blood being drawn on any of my birds before and i should have caught this before it got this bad and I feel terrible. The brown girls have been molting for a while or at least I assumed they were but maybe this is plucking and not molting they are experiencing? A week ago, i took away their outdoor pen extension for the winter....i assumed this is maybe why they got agressive (less distraction).
I isolated the injured bird in a separate coop in my garage. She eats and drinks and poops and also shivers. I read i can give her aspirin in her water and there is and antibacterial spray at my local shur gain i could put on her back.

2 questions: seeing as its getting cold here and she is missing quite a few feathers, should i put a heat lamp up for her?

Also, when do I know it's time to let her go and end her suffering? I want to save her and am prepared to put in the work but if she is just going to suffer all this time and then die...what would be a sign that she is not going to make it?

Thank you!
Please link an image so I can better help you! Also please show your 'injured bird' setup.

I wouldn't cull if the bird has the will to live. I'd give it AT LEAST twenty four hours after you start treatment before deciding that she doesn't have the will to live. Also remember that it's your decision whether you cull or not. I've seen many people pressured into culling birds that could survive if given the right care.

I wouldn't cull if the bird has the will to live. I'd give it AT LEAST twenty four hours after you start treatment before deciding that she doesn't have the will to live. Also remember that it's your decision whether you cull or not. I've seen many people pressured into culling birds that could survive if given the right care.
I agree as well! Watch for infection, clean the wound...

Please link an image so I can better help you! Also please show your 'injured bird' setup.
I will try and get a picture tomorrow. I decided to put a heat lamp aiming at part of the coop i have her in and she is resting next to it. Crossing fingers. The attached picture is the coop she is in in the garage so she is warmer. I exclusively use this if I need to isolate any hens.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201207-173739_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20201207-173739_Facebook.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 17
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom