Pecked raw - help!

Looks like a good sized coop. Make sure there is lots of bedding for her to keep warm. I'm afraid the images aren't the best. Can you get any closer up ones? Is she bleeding, is her back raw?
Yes she is comfortable in the hospital coop with lots of straw and i put the heat lamp. The pics arent the greatess no, she is quite scared of me now and stands at an odd angle whenever she gets up (i assume because of pain. She has lots of dried blood and scabs and nothing is oozing. I will get betting pictures next time.

I
Yes she is comfortable in the hospital coop with lots of straw and i put the heat lamp. The pics arent the greatess no, she is quite scared of me now and stands at an odd angle whenever she gets up (i assume because of pain. She has lots of dried blood and scabs and nothing is oozing. I will get betting pictures next time.
I'd wash the wound with warm water, to get rid of the blood. I know she is scared, but you will need to handle her a bit to heal her. Try poking her feet and legs, as it may be a leg issue causing her to stand weirdly, if she cries out upon a poke, you probably have a leg issue too. Feel for any broken bones or abnormalities. Is she drinking and eating?

I

I'd wash the wound with warm water, to get rid of the blood. I know she is scared, but you will need to handle her a bit to heal her. Try poking her feet and legs, as it may be a leg issue causing her to stand weirdly, if she cries out upon a poke, you probably have a leg issue too. Feel for any broken bones or abnormalities. Is she drinking and eating?
She is eating and drinking yes.

Update: here is a better picture of bird 1.

I now have another brown hen being bullied and i see a start of a wound(see second pic). I am guessing it started the same way for the first injured bird. Ive decided to get rid of my wonderful rooster(waiting on someone to rehome him). I havent seen him injure anyone but im only guessing that his mounting of the hens must have cause feather loss that then turned to pecking from the other birds. By removing this second brown bird, i now only have the one brown with the 4 plymouth plus 1 rooster and i'm terrified they will turn on her next. She looks great...no feathers out of place that I can tell...but usually the browns stick together.

Attachments

• 20201208_144929.jpg
    20201208_144929.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201208_145804.jpg
    20201208_145804.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 12
Update: here is a better picture of bird 1.

I now have another brown hen being bullied and i see a start of a wound(see second pic). I am guessing it started the same way for the first injured bird. Ive decided to get rid of my wonderful rooster(waiting on someone to rehome him). I havent seen him injure anyone but im only guessing that his mounting of the hens must have cause feather loss that then turned to pecking from the other birds. By removing this second brown bird, i now only have the one brown with the 4 plymouth plus 1 rooster and i'm terrified they will turn on her next. She looks great...no feathers out of place that I can tell...but usually the browns stick together.
I wouldn't bank on it... hens can be VERY vicious, I had one of my hen's back feathers plucked out by another hen down to skin! " i now only have the one brown with the 4 plymouth plus 1 rooster and i'm terrified they will turn on her next." If you mean turn on the brown, then I'm not sure it that's 100% justified, it depends where she is in the pecking order. Have you cleaned her wounds?

I wouldn't bank on it... hens can be VERY vicious, I had one of my hen's back feathers plucked out by another hen down to skin! " i now only have the one brown with the 4 plymouth plus 1 rooster and i'm terrified they will turn on her next." If you mean turn on the brown, then I'm not sure it that's 100% justified, it depends where she is in the pecking order. Have you cleaned her wounds?
Yes i cleaned it today. I also got some 'stop pick liquid' I found at my shur gain store and used it on the 'slighty' pecked second chicken to see if that would work before removing her.

This is the second bird that was injured a bit. I put the peck away spray on her last evening and i added a saddle today and it covers the raw are at thr base of her tail. She spends her time trying to get it off however and the rooster seems to think she's a nee girl and does his little dance around her haha.

For those with experience with the spray, how often should I re-apply.

For those who use saddles...have you had hens that didnt get used to them after a day or two? I am hoping she will adjust to it.

Thx!

Attachments

• 20201209_140627.jpg
    20201209_140627.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20201209_140400.jpg
    20201209_140400.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom