Pecked raw - help!

NOOOOO!!!!! That liquid gets SUCH bad reviews on amazon and other places. People have said it has killed their birds! Did you spray it on her back?
Perhaps from people spraying it in open wounds or relying on it to stop the pecking issue? I cant imagine it being outright toxic, but I havent used it.

Also IMO this is not a helpful way to communicate something because its just going to freak OP out especially since OP hasnt seen your message yet. Perhaps "I would suggest against that spray as I've read reviews of birds having extremely bad reactions to it (including death). You should wash it off as soon as you can with soap and water". Its the same information, but as a calm controlled direction instead of verbiage that triggers a panic response.

OP, both of your girls will be fine. You can clean bird one with betadine (everyone here says to dilute it to tea color but I've always used it full strength and it's been okay) or vetrycin (I think that's how you spell it) or 2% chlorhexidine. Or saline if that's what you've got. Dry it/let it dry and then you can put neosporin or another antibiotic ointment (but not ones will pain relief) on the wound as well. Keep her from getting pecked at while it heals. Once the wound closes up a reasonable amount, you could maybe reintroduce her with the saddle but you'll have to check under the saddle often (daily perhaps) to make sure it's still healing well.

(Alternatively you can slap betadine on it and have the bird run away from you and do nothing after that. I assume she healed just fine. And that was feathers ripped out by a predator)

Keeping the saddle on bird two sounds smart. I dont have an opinion on the no peck spray except to say there probably isnt much point to having it under a saddle haha.

Finding the culprit is going to be important though. Either they need to be rehomed, separated or the birds may just need more space and better hiding places. I wouldn't blame your roo straight off.

Perhaps from people spraying it in open wounds or relying on it to stop the pecking issue? I cant imagine it being outright toxic, but I havent used it.

Also IMO this is not a helpful way to communicate something because its just going to freak OP out especially since OP hasnt seen your message yet. Perhaps "I would suggest against that spray as I've read reviews of birds having extremely bad reactions to it (including death). You should wash it off as soon as you can with soap and water". Its the same information, but as a calm controlled direction instead of verbiage that triggers a panic response.

OP, both of your girls will be fine. You can clean bird one with betadine (everyone here says to dilute it to tea color but I've always used it full strength and it's been okay) or vetrycin (I think that's how you spell it) or 2% chlorhexidine. Or saline if that's what you've got. Dry it/let it dry and then you can put neosporin or another antibiotic ointment (but not ones will pain relief) on the wound as well. Keep her from getting pecked at while it heals. Once the wound closes up a reasonable amount, you could maybe reintroduce her with the saddle but you'll have to check under the saddle often (daily perhaps) to make sure it's still healing well.

(Alternatively you can slap betadine on it and have the bird run away from you and do nothing after that. I assume she healed just fine. And that was feathers ripped out by a predator)

Keeping the saddle on bird two sounds smart. I dont have an opinion on the no peck spray except to say there probably isnt much point to having it under a saddle haha.

Finding the culprit is going to be important though. Either they need to be rehomed, separated or the birds may just need more space and better hiding places. I wouldn't blame your roo straight off.
Thank you very much for your suggestions! I'm feeling better about being able to handle this situation now that I have several things lined up. I didnt respray on her but the wound looked a bit better today so I assume it must have worked on some level and they didn't peck more at her. She pecked at her own back after I sprayed it on and I could tell she didnt like the taste of it. The spray I have,the reviews were good and the lady at shur gain used it on her hens with success. Now I need to find who the bully is. I noticed there arent as many feathers laying around so either they aren't shedding as much or someone is eating the feathers.

As for my very injured one. She keeps eating and drinking but not moving much and staying close to her heat lamp. I will keep motoring and hopefully with some of those suggestions you had, no infection will set it. Thank you :)

As for my very injured one. She keeps eating and drinking but not moving much and staying close to her heat lamp. I will keep motoring and hopefully with some of those suggestions you had, no infection will set it. Thank you :)
Eating and drinking is always great news. When one of my hurt roos started eating enough to have healthy poops again, I was so happy. Happy about poop. SO laughed at me. Chickens are resilient. One of the hard parts of injuries is making sure they have the nutrients to stave off infection and heal, and it sounds like your girl is doing well on that front!

Eating and drinking is always great news. When one of my hurt roos started eating enough to have healthy poops again, I was so happy. Happy about poop. SO laughed at me. Chickens are resilient. One of the hard parts of injuries is making sure they have the nutrients to stave off infection and heal, and it sounds like your girl is doing well on that front!
I am giving her electrolyte in her water but should i only do that a couple of times of daily until she is better? I also read they need more protein if they need to regrow lots of feathers. Should i perhaps supplement with high protein treats?

Most people say to give electrolyte water as an option but also have plain water available.

I dont know about the protein though. It sounds reasonable.

Indeed. Sorry JAR26! I didn't mean to panic you...and thanks jwhel for pointing that out :) I'll learn from that for the future hopefully. You sound very knowledgeable on this subject and I wish you the best with finding the chook who did it JAR26. Sorry again :) I wish you well

Thank you very much for your suggestions! I'm feeling better about being able to handle this situation now that I have several things lined up. I didnt respray on her but the wound looked a bit better today so I assume it must have worked on some level and they didn't peck more at her. She pecked at her own back after I sprayed it on and I could tell she didnt like the taste of it. The spray I have,the reviews were good and the lady at shur gain used it on her hens with success. Now I need to find who the bully is. I noticed there arent as many feathers laying around so either they aren't shedding as much or someone is eating the feathers.

Once again sorry, and happy to hear the reviews are good and she is healing well. I just want to say I suggest reading the reviews before purchasing a product, no matter how much of a rush you are in to help your injured chook :)
I think it is just the different sprays, eg: one review on amazon

PB

1.0 out of 5 stars Attracted all the hens to the already damaged cockerel.
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 13 December 2013
Verified Purchase
They went mad for it and we had to remove him and apply tar again instead. Pointless and distressing experience

Once again sorry, and happy to hear the reviews are good and she is healing well. I just want to say I suggest reading the reviews before purchasing a product, no matter how much of a rush you are in to help your injured chook :) She sounds like she is on the road to recovery!

Indeed. Sorry JAR26! I didn't mean to panic you...and thanks jwhel for pointing that out :) I'll learn from that for the future hopefully. You sound very knowledgeable on this subject and I wish you the best with finding the chook who did it JAR26. Sorry again :) I wish you well
Oh no offence taken! I'm just thankful for this group and people taking the time read and help :)

Back
Top Bottom