Pecking and Bleeding (HELP)

Spartan22

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 2, 2014
NE Ohio
hugs.gif
My chickens started pecking one another's combs now that most of them are laying eggs. Ive been finding few of them were bloody or have traces of dried blood on their heads in the last four days. They were fine since I got them in April until most of them started laying eggs, Ive hang some toys (basket of treats) to keep them more occupied/distracted since Ive found out the pecking. Need more wisdom on this, I don't want to turn them into dinner yet.

It's a natural chicken habit, it's going to happen no matter what. More space, more "toys" and a lower protein diet will help lesson it. I throw in a flake of hay in my flock of 100 on a daily basis to keep them occupied. Hope this helped.

How many do you have? How large is the space they have? They need sufficient protein to keep them from trying to eat each other but lack of adequate space/overcrowding is the usual problem.

I got 10 chickens 7 layers so far (averaging 5-7 eggs a day), 8x12 coupe, 10x12 run and they got enough proteins daily, Gives them new water 2x a day and food boost 2x/day (feeder is full for the whole day) aside from some occasional treats. I've noticed that the ones that sleeps on the floor and not on the perch that has the occasional dried blood.

Back
Top Bottom