Pecking Behavior

capebird

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Cape Cod
My 4 barred rocks are now 14 weeks old. Last week we had 5.... but one
was killed by one of the other 4 at night. Since they were young (I've had them since a
couple of days old) there's always been the chest bumping thing and pecking order
activity. But lately it seems to be getting really rough.... and thus the murder
in the coop. My question is.... does this die down after a while.... are they
at a stage (14 weeks old now) where the pecking thing is at a final stage to
establish dominance? I don't think it's a boredom thing... or being cramped.
the coop is 20 square feet and their run is 8 x 12.... so almost 100 square feet.
The other thing I noticed is when I look at them in the run... there is really no
chest bumping to speak of.... it only seems to be intense when I let them out
of the run for a little free ranging... it really gets wild then..I try and break them
up with my small rake (my shepherd's pole)....

any help here would really be appreciated. Thanks.

My BR have always been more of the bullies. Mine are 16 weeks & would pick on the 3 - 14 weeks old & 2 - 12 week old pullets from time to time, now the BO are the ones who pick on the younger ones.

The 5 younger stay away from the older 10. I notice in the coop, the younger 5 put themselves to bed early in the roost. But they are all huddled on one corner, and our roo places himself between the younger 5 & older 9. But everyone is still huddled on one side of the shelf. I plan to build another roost on the other wall of the coop, to see if I can get the younger 5 to roost there.

My run is about a 10 x 10, and everyone has their own area, the 5 like to hang out in the coop. I use to see the older ones chest bump from time to time, and will see the younger 5 do it on occasion.

Do you have a rooster? My older 9 like to lay down with the roo during the afternoon, he does seem to keep the picking/pecking at a minimum. How are they at feeding time, is there any fighting?

thanks for the replies. No... don't have a rooster. Not sure I'd want one
with the noise and special permit needed here.... but I have read about the
benefits of having one. I'm really trying to get a feel if this pecking activity,
the aggressive behavior, is just a temporary thing. I just don't get why it's so
active when I let them out of the run into the yard.... like kids on the playground,
all would up.

I'm glad you posted this. Mine are twenty weeks old and one hen in particular has begun pecking another hen enough to draw blood and chasing several others. She is a BO. I cleaned up the bleeding hen and released her back. I thought at first the roo was doing it as he has been getting impatient with the girls to "group" since the only laying hen went broody and is sitting on eggs. Could this be a pecking order change as they prepare to lay? Combs have begun sprouting and reddening as well on all the hens.

Back
Top Bottom