Pecking chickens and need help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eedsbecky, May 1, 2016.

1. eedsbecky

eedsbecky New Egg

May 1, 2016
    I have 3 different breeds of chickens. I have cornish rocks, cochins, and welsummer chickens. They have all been raised together and are a couple of months old. Lately the Cornish rocks keep getting pecked and I have lost 2 hens already. Why have the other breeds just started doing this? They are only pecking at the Cornish rock chickens. I have 3 more hens that have sores and I have temporarily seperated them but can't for long. Is it because they are white or something else? I don't know what to do. Please help.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Bullying can occur from overcrowding, not getting outside to exercise, boredom, and if there is a lack of protein in the diet. I would probably keep them separated, or separate bullies. The meat birds may be more docile or lower in the pecking order, or they may be bullied because they eat so much. Cannibalism is common in chickens, so I would watch for any of the causes above, and try to make any changes. Any red pecking spots should be sprayed with BluKote or a bad tasting cream such as Nustock used.

Last edited: May 2, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by