Pecking hard...

Agilityscots

Songster
12 Years
Jun 9, 2007
Central Ohio
I almost titled this subject "Hard peckers" but instantly rethought it!
roll.png

Do any of you have chickens that peck REALLY hard? My RosieDaisy, who is a complete and total punk and has been since she was a wee chick, pecks VERY hard. Last night when I put her in the coop, I pointed my finger at her to make sure she stayed while I swung the chicken door down (they all like to try and come back out as soon as I put them in). She pecked hard and twisted. She's the only one of mine who does this. She's always had a chip on her little feathered shoulder, but I find this pretty obnoxious. With dogs, we want them to have what's called "bite inhibition"...i.e., a dog who snaps as a warning rather than bloodying your arm is highly desirable. Can we teach "peck inhibition" in chickens?
big_smile.png

Amy

Oh, yeah. One of my blue Ameraucanas, Charlotte, hates for me to point my finger at her. She does the peck and twist thing pretty well. Then again, she's a youngster and I've not been able to spend as much quality time with her as most of my others. I think she'll calm down when I'm able to do that.

'A chip on her little feathered shoulder'
lau.gif
I'm not even going to touch the retitled part, except to say that my brother kindly told my friends that I got a pecker in the eye when one of my young roosters attacked me. Thank you Tim! :thun

There are some hens that are just that way even after 4 1/2 years I still have to keep an eye on some of my hens, they'll leave bruises without even knowing it. Most others learn how to use their beaks without causing damage- so there is hope that she'll grow out of it. But some never seem to learn.

I did have some luck by tapping the beak of one hen firmly and quickly when she pecked to hard. She'd quit if I was looking at her, but she'd still do it if your back was turned.

My chickens think my finger is a worm or something;
When I give them treats, a couple of them peck and twist at my hand.
I don't think any of it is intentionally trying to hurt me, I think its just instinct and stupidity, if they dig at my hand enough they will uncover more treats, Right?
ep.gif
gig.gif

Mine frequently peck at my hands looking for treats. Usually less roughly now that at some times in the past; I think they are learning. I admit, I'm starting to feed treats by spoon, or putting them on the ground, or dangling things like spaghetti so they can grab without biting me.

But the partridge rock roos have both bitten me ON PURPOSE, biting down and twisting. They knew there was no food. They were just feeling threatened because I had to pick them up. I "pecked" them on their heads with my finger, and flipped them upside down and carried them by their feet for a while.

Once my hamburg bit me too, because I was making her stay in the coop when she wanted to come back out just at sunset. She's very flighty and has a totally different personality from everyone else, so I'm not surprised. I think she was a little frightened at the moment ... she's often frightened by things like the wind blowing or the sun shining, LOL. But she meant to bite as well. That's the only time a hen has bitten me yet.

Sometimes they do bite on purpose. And sometimes they add that mean little "twist" too. (Really hurts when they do that to the webbing between the fingers!)

trish

Quote:
LOL, that's funny in a way. A couple of my hens seem to take exception to my pointing a finger at them too. I thought I might be imagining it.

They don't bite me for doing it, but they DO seem to act a little defiant and get "that look" when I point at them. They look like they are ABOUT to jump up and grab my finger, LOL.

trish

My Buff orpington likes to sit on my shoulder and peck at my head......I should have NEVER told my step father about it as he has a new nickname for me and i will NEVER live it down. Need I say more?????? Good Because i'd just get in trouble
roll.png

I've had great luck with using my finger as a beak, and "pecking" the bird on the head. When they submit they lower their heads and hold still. Hope it works- some birds are just too mean.

My 4 week old partridge silky pecks me pretty good every time I stick my hand in the box. All 4 chicks run and try to hide in the corner like they are scared of me, and then that little clucker pecks me!! His/Her lol name is "The little Clucker"
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom