Pecking holes in the eggs??!!

HallChicks

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
I have one hen that seems to regularly peck a hole at the top of her egg- just enough to break the shell, but not deep or wide enough to harm the insides. Why is she doing that?

I also have a Wyandotte that is one year old now and still not laying! Is that normal?

I also foung one egg that looked like it had one peck in the top. I was also wondering about that! Mine have oyster shell ,grit and get 20% crumbles.

Last edited:
I had Dorking hens that seemed to be doing the same thing. Just making a "dent" in the shell, but not breaking the membrane or anything. I actually watched it happen a couple times. I figured out that the egg shells were thinner and weaker than normal, and the hens didn't have sufficient space or padding in the nests.

Unless you have actually seen her "peck" the egg, they are probably being broken by being stepped on or laid on a hard surface. Both contributed to the "dented" eggs in my experience anyway.

I added more oyster shell to their diet and added more padding to the nests. I haven't had a broken shell since and it has been several weeks now.

-Kim

Last edited:
One of my sex link's eggs nearly always are like this, too. I'm quite sure it's a matter of thinner shells. I have oyster shell free choice for them, but Ethel's eggs have always been this way.

Assuming they're getting enough calcium and the shells are hard enough, you might try putting a golf ball or two in the nest/laying box. They will peck on the golf ball perhaps instead of the egg!
smile.png

a thought just came to my feeble old mind.the hens may not be pecking holes in the eggs.they maybe stepping on them.an their toenail punching a hole in them.

wynedot55, I doubt their toenails are responsible unless they are walking on pointe like a ballarina.
smile.png

chicken-mama, my mixed hen doesn't seem to care for oyster shell. You might try mixing egg shells (they are very high in calcium) in plain probiotic yogurt and cooked oatmeal with fruit for your sex-link hen who lays thin-shelled eggs. I just microwave all egg shells for 1 min. on high, then I pulverize them in the food processor until they look almost like dust! You can even mix it in with her regular feed. She won't know it's there and her egg shell quality may improve. Brandy's did!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom