Pecking Injuries

swamimama

Hatching
May 18, 2017
Long Island, New York
I am a new member and need help with my new flock. I have had some experience with chickens, having bought a house last year with a large coop and 4 chickens in the backyard. I retired the chickens last fall to a small local farm and waited until this spring (2017) to start again with a new flock. Three weeks ago I purchased 2 rocks, 2 Wyandottes, a Welsummer and an Austrolorp. They were between 10 and 12 weeks old and all from the same breeder and kept together in the same large flock of juveniles. After 5 days, I found the smallest chicken, a Wyandotte, dead in the coop. There were no visible signs of pecking or feather damage. I thinks she was kept from feeding and drinking by the other chickens. Had her checked out and she had no disease. A week later, a Rock (next smallest) died with some visible damage (feathers missing, raw spots on her back). It happened very quickly. This seems more than normal pecking order establishing. Now there are 4 left, with the remaining Wyandotte being pecked by the 3 other chickens. I tried a method I found on another site, which was to watch them closely and use a spray bottle of water as soon as any chicken pecked at her. I have been doing that. Don't know yet if it is helping. I think I can identify two "ringleaders," the third chicken rarely pecks another. My question is, What do I do with the remaining rather aggressive chickens? Can I chance introducing new members? Or should I retire them and start fresh with 6 new full-grown chickens?

Do they have enough room to get away from each other? Places to hide like bushes or even under boards or tables? Things to do to prevent boredom like hanging cabbage from string so they can go after it, or corn cob. Try a few things before you give up on this flock.

Do they have enough room to get away from each other? Places to hide like bushes or even under boards or tables? Things to do to prevent boredom like hanging cabbage from string so they can go after it, or corn cob. Try a few things before you give up on this flock.

They have a protected run that is 8'X10' and the coop itself is big enough for 8-10 chickens, but nothing to get away from each other. We are in the process of making an outdoor run which is not yet finished. I will put more hiding places in (e.g., wood box or crate on end). they have a swing and hanging cabbage. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom