Pecking injuries

CatWhisperer5

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2023
We have five laying hens that are about a year old and seven poults that we've been trying to introduce to the adults for quite some time. We introduced them slowly- first a cage outside the run, then inside the run, then in the run with a bin that the littles could run and hide in if needed- but they still attacked. This morning we had a severely injured one. She was covered in blood and had most of her neck feathers plucked out.
We need a long term solution since we have more chicks to introduce to the flock soon. Should we just cull the older ones? Or is there another way to fix this issue?

I would not cull them. That is just a pecking order problem. They are probably laying well now aren’t they? If you prefer the younger birds, you could advertise the year old hens for sale or to rehome. Younger birds should be the close to same size when introduced. Turkeys do better separate from chickens where they don’t get exposed to blackhead disease. Are there any make turkey poults? The baby chicks will need to be several months old before introducing them. Is there any way that you can make separate coops and runs?

Do you have any pictures of the injured chick? Saline or Vetericyn spray could be used on the wounds, and plain triple antibiotic ointment is good to apply after it dries. BluKote spray can hide the wounds if they are minor and not too deep.

I would not cull them. That is just a pecking order problem. They are probably laying well now aren’t they? If you prefer the younger birds, you could advertise the year old hens for sale or to rehome. Younger birds should be the close to same size when introduced. Turkeys do better separate from chickens where they don’t get exposed to blackhead disease. Are there any make turkey poults? The baby chicks will need to be several months old before introducing them. Is there any way that you can make separate coops and runs?

Do you have any pictures of the injured chick? Saline or Vetericyn spray could be used on the wounds, and plain triple antibiotic ointment is good to apply after it dries. BluKote spray can hide the wounds if they are minor and not too deep.
The younger chicken unfortunately passed away from her injuries shortly after I made this post. I think the best option you've said here is just to re-home them. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom