Pecking injury...

Edited to add that I would use it but I'm no expert by any means and nowhere close. As long as it's kept in a cool dark and dry location for storage, I would use it on myself.

Yeah, I'm gonna use the neosporin I have.
I went and looked at mine...
Neosporin cream expired 2010. :gig
Generic triple AB ointment doesn't have an expiry, at least not one that I can read.
I have used both on myself with no apparent repercussions.

I'll look closer at the hardware cloth in the morning but I would be surprised if it's messed up. I check everything every day. I did have issues earlier with bullying in the flock so that's why I assume that's what caused this wound. I have been giving my girls things to occupy themselves but they won't go in the run if there is snow on the ground. Coop is plenty big enough too. Silly things!
You're an amazing keeper. They're lucky to have you taking care of them and being so watchful.

I wouldn't go out in it either if I didn't have to. Guess it's a good thing I live in NC :)

You're an amazing keeper. They're lucky to have you taking care of them and being so watchful.

I wouldn't go out in it either if I didn't have to. Guess it's a good thing I live in NC :)
Thank you! Yeah, if you don't like the snow! We are expected to get three more snow events this next week. Sigh, spring time yet?

Hey y'all! This is Popcorn, she has suffered what I assume is a pecking injury on her left thigh. I noticed it today when I went to feed my girls. They have been staying in the coop because their run has snow in it and they hate to walk on snow. Anyways, I brought her inside, flushed the wound out with plain warm water and sprayed Banixx on it. I think it looks pretty clean but is there anything else I should put on it? I wanted to wait to put plain neosporin on it, to see if the other stuff does anything. I can put it on if y'all think I should. She is almost 8 months old, light brahma. I don't think she has started laying yet but I can't be sure, out of six chickens, I get five eggs a day. Her vent looks clean, she is spunky and has lots of energy. I put her in my basement with food and water. Thoughts?
I use Normal bacitracin for injury’s . Also don’t put her back with the others till that’s healed.

She's laying on the cold concrete floor of my basement. I don't have access to a dog cage yet, so I did the best I could. I put bedding down but she moved it out of the way and won't lay on the fleece blanket I gave her. Is she going to be ok if she lays there all night? It's chilly in my basement, about 50° but much colder outside. And I did put the neosporin on the wound

She's laying on the cold concrete floor of my basement. I don't have access to a dog cage yet, so I did the best I could. I put bedding down but she moved it out of the way and won't lay on the fleece blanket I gave her. Is she going to be ok if she lays there all night? It's chilly in my basement, about 50° but much colder outside. And I did put the neosporin on the wound
Maybe the coolness of the concrete feels good to her. She will move to the bedding if she gets chilly or uncomfortable.

I would use the Banixx to flush it out if needed. Then apply the Neosporin to help keep it moist.
Sounds like your doing what I would do.

I've used Banixx to treat wounds and it seemed to work well.

If she moved the bedding is on the floor, then I would say that's what suits her. I think she will be fine there. Sometimes our human thoughts of "comfort" aren't their "idea" of comfort.
Keep us posted on how she's doing.

I would use the Banixx to flush it out if needed. Then apply the Neosporin to help keep it moist.
Sounds like your doing what I would do.

I've used Banixx to treat wounds and it seemed to work well.

If she moved the bedding is on the floor, then I would say that's what suits her. I think she will be fine there. Sometimes our human thoughts of "comfort" aren't their "idea" of comfort.
Keep us posted on how she's doing.
Thanks! Will do!

Back
Top Bottom