Pecking injury...

I'm glad to hear they are healing.
If Marshmallow stinks - do you think it could be infection? Do you have any antibiotics on hand?

Hopefully the change and moving them all around will help. Keep us posted.
I don't think it's infection, it smells like the urates that are leaking. Like you said in an earlier post, it gets hard on her skin and is very hard to get off. Even multiple soakings doesn't remove it all. Her skin around her vent has a green tinge but like @aart said, I assume it's bruising. If she wasn't leaking, I would say she was good, there is no visible wound anymore on her for me to treat. At least, not that I see. I was going to give her another bath after I got home from work. I can take more pictures if you think I should. I appreciate all the help you two have been giving me! And no, I have no antibiotics I can give her. I don't even know what I would give her!

Well, here is Marshmallow after her bath and before the blow dry. Does it look infected to you @Wyorp Rock @aart ? It's really hard to get all the urates off, I did the best I could. She was soaking in epsom salt water for over 20 mins. Then the internet guy had to come fix our modem and gave me a strange look for having a chicken in the mudroom sink! He has a great story to tell at dinner tonight:lau The other girls are doing great in the coop, both laid an egg. The other girls are doing good in the garage

Attachments

• IMG_20210301_152110500.jpg
    IMG_20210301_152110500.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210301_154240303.jpg
    IMG_20210301_154240303.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210301_154243307.jpg
    IMG_20210301_154243307.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 7
Sorry, I have no experience in this.
<clenching>Looks painful.
Is that stuff crusty and hard?
Yes, very crusty and hard. I'm actually a little afraid that it's going to clog in front of her vent and prevent her from pooping. Pasty butt in an adult!

Poor Girl!

If the smell is just the urates, then I wouldn't give an antibiotic. I would give her some probiotics (purchased probiotics, yogurt or buttermilk - just a small amount of the dairy 1tblsp) a few times a week.
I've seen that several times in photos and you are doing a good job, but I agree with your concern about them hardening and blocking the vent. I'm trying to remember what someone used to help loosen some of that, it was a bad case and of course I didn't save it. They even ended up having to use pop. I *think* it was mineral oil and they kept working it under the crusty stuff after the daily soak. Might be worth a try with some type of oil (coconut, mineral, vaseline, etc.).

What a great story for the internet guy! LOL

She's lovely and looks perfectly content in the "spa":lol:

I can use mineral or coconut oil on her, I have both. And vaseline but that stuff is so messy! I have save a chick stuff, I can add that in their water. I think I have chick probiotics too but they might be old. No issues getting her probiotics, will start that tomorrow! Thanks! And I don't drink pop. My son likes rootbeer. Maybe if I use that then he won't want to try coke!:lol:

I couldn't give Marshmallow a bath yesterday, I had a very bad migraine and was laid up all day. Anyways, I could tell today that she was weak looking and not doing good. So she got another bath and just as I was afraid would happen, the urates crusted over and clogged her vent. So I tried to work oil into it, and in her vent, to get all the stuff off. Poor thing was trying to help me, she kept making grunting noises and pushing. Then all of a sudden the gross plug came out and she pooped a giant poop! Sorry to be graphic but I have never been so happy to see a chicken poop! Then she kept pushing and grunting. My son was laughing at me cheering her on! Out leaked more urates but she was pushing poop out too. She stayed in the bath, with me massaging oil on her, for over 45 minutes! Then, I cleaned her up, rubbed more oil and vaseline on her to try and prevent more crusting on her. Used a blow dryer on low to dry her as best I could, and put her back in the coop. Then she wouldn't stand. Refused to support herself completely. I hope it's just from relaxing in the bath but I don't know. I did the best I could. We will see what tomorrow brings, hopefully it brings a Marshmallow that is stronger because she has eaten and drank water. Edited to add that the oil I used was vegetable oil, seemed to work good

I couldn't give Marshmallow a bath yesterday, I had a very bad migraine and was laid up all day. Anyways, I could tell today that she was weak looking and not doing good. So she got another bath and just as I was afraid would happen, the urates crusted over and clogged her vent. So I tried to work oil into it, and in her vent, to get all the stuff off. Poor thing was trying to help me, she kept making grunting noises and pushing. Then all of a sudden the gross plug came out and she pooped a giant poop! Sorry to be graphic but I have never been so happy to see a chicken poop! Then she kept pushing and grunting. My son was laughing at me cheering her on! Out leaked more urates but she was pushing poop out too. She stayed in the bath, with me massaging oil on her, for over 45 minutes! Then, I cleaned her up, rubbed more oil and vaseline on her to try and prevent more crusting on her. Used a blow dryer on low to dry her as best I could, and put her back in the coop. Then she wouldn't stand. Refused to support herself completely. I hope it's just from relaxing in the bath but I don't know. I did the best I could. We will see what tomorrow brings, hopefully it brings a Marshmallow that is stronger because she has eaten and drank water. Edited to add that the oil I used was vegetable oil, seemed to work good
:hugs I'm sorry that you haven't felt well.

It's good that you were able to help get the plug out. You are doing all you can for her.
Good to know that the oil made a difference.
:fl Hopeful that she will be brighter tomorrow.

Not the update I wanted to provide. Marshmallow died😢 I found her in the coop when I got home from work, in the same exact spot I put her in last night after her bath. She looked peaceful, her head was tucked under her wing. I did blow dry her off after her bath but now I'm wondering if she might have been too wet to go out. It did get down into the upper 20's last night. I hope I didn't kill her. She is the first chicken I have lost, in all my years of chicken keeping. The others I have given away when they stopped laying, to a chicken "retirement home". RIP Marshmallow. Sorry I couldn't save you

Back
Top Bottom