Pecking Issue

The pullet that I locked in then left open access has moved to the cat transport box on a full time basis. She has 3 eggs under unless she has laid one herself (does not happen all the time).

The cat's enclosure is larger than my next boxes in all dimensions. Diana Berry is butt out when I see her, I will add two more "chocolate" eggs so she has 5 eggs on the go. I have it placed under the drop boards and on the side with the ramp to edge of drop boards; darkest spot in the coop, somewhat sheltered.

I also noted that DB is in the best shape of all pullets save one that is close. I thought that she had been successful in avoiding getting pecked as an option to being broody. Seems she is broody; whole new experience. Once a brooder, yearly as brooder?

Thanks.

When I checked under Diana Berry last evening there were eight eggs. I removed the ones that came from ISAs and left her with three blues and two chocolates.

I assume that other pullets are laying in the cat nest?
Yep, good to mark the 'hatching eggs' so it's easier to remove any added ones daily.
You don't want to have a staggered hatch.

@aart

It may seem obvious that staggered hatch is more work/complicated but, for me, only abstractly since I have not been through it.

I have two week old Chanteclers, eggs in days 10-11, and a possibly broody female siting on several days accumulation.

What can I expect?

@aart It may seem obvious that staggered hatch is more work/complicated but, for me, only abstractly since I have not been through it.
A staggered hatch in the bator is an issue with turning and lockdown.
Under a broody it can be worse as mama will leave the nest with the first hatched chicks and may leave other eggs behind to die in shell.
Always best to start all hatching eggs on the same day no matter where you are incubating.

What can I expect?
Clustertangle!!

I have two week old Chanteclers,
How many two week old chicks?
Where are they living?

eggs in days 10-11,
In the incubator?

and a possibly broody female siting on several days accumulation.
She'll take care of them for you.

Where will you keep all the incubated chicks?
They may or may not coexisting in the same brooder due to difference in age.
And aren't you already having pecking issues?
Maybe that other coop is farther along than I think?

Most broody hens will wait two days for all the chicks to hatch, and that works out, usually. After that, any still in the shell will be left by most hens, and will die.
That's why you don't want eggs added to her clutch after she starts setting.
You do have lots of activity going on right now!
Mary

Also, there are multiple females in and out of the cat transport cage/nest. I am not interested in ISA eggs hatching rather the blue and chocolate.

The good news is that Diana Berry is now getting outside and about more often.

Also, there are multiple females in and out of the cat transport cage/nest. I am not interested in ISA eggs hatching rather the blue and chocolate.

This is one of the reasons why it is advised to keep the broody hen and her nest separate from the other hens, so she will not be disturbed or even driven off her nest and the others would not be able to add to her clutch.

"Cluster tangle". Now I have not heard that one before.

I have 15 Chantecler two week olds; 13 eggs in days 10-11 in incubator. 5 blue/chocolate eggs under broody(?) pullet. I will keep one end for the cat-cage/next. Will make multiple small sliding doors for chicks to come/go starting two weeks after they go to the brooder. I will make two sections in the brooder everything with small sliders.

My thought was all chicks will go into in-coop brooder (under drop board) except any that the broody pullet produces which I assume I let her take care of.

I do have a pecking issue; have changed to feed on demand and multiple hour daily free range sessions in attempt to change behaviour immediately. My sister and BIL will be here late August for two months.

I have not started the 2nd coop build.

Back
Top Bottom