pecking me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazyhen, Jan 8, 2009.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    My chicks are not the least bit frightened of me but rather want to eat me and my clothes when I go to feed them. do any of you have that problem. I had on gloves today with dots on them. They would grab them and try to tear of the dots. My coat hem , dust on my shoe. etc. When will they quit that. If I set down I have one in my lap and another trying to eat some article of clothing I have on. They get feed well and get lots of treats, spoiled little things , at 12 weeks old they are beginng to look a little different from each other. Mine are all suppose to be pullets but i am suspicious of at least three of the 6. When I have time I will post them. Do others have their chciks behaving this way??. Jean

2. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    Oh yes, mine all do that. If I have a string hanging down they jump up to grab it. Its kinda funny. I have one that I dont want to do it though. He hurts. The others just love food and when they see me they think DINNER! YUMMY TREATS! I think its cute. [​IMG]

3. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    My name is Jean too. hehehe Maybe its the name.

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

They will all do that; it's just part of the chicken-nature. They're naturally curious, and think everything in their little world surely MUST be good to eat... [​IMG] It's when they STOP pecking and scratching at everything that you should worry.

5. destorieswind

destorieswind Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    haha yep. I had shoes that had a hole in them and it just so happens that my chickens will peck at my little toe through that hole. That or they go after my shoe laces.

6. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Oh absolutely! When I work with tools, they also like to go after the drill bit, which is a serious no-no. It's shiny and wiggly to them. My SO also reminds me that they want to touch things when they are learning, and they have no hands, so they peck.

7. JHaller

JHaller Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    Austin TX
    With the first chickens, I was always handling them, cuddling them, talking to them, letting them walk all over my hands, my head and arms, etc. They would peck my earrings, spots of lint on my clothes, loose threads, buttons, their reflection in my eyeglasses, even my eyelashes. They even trimmed my cuticles.

With the later chickens, I learned to keep them away from my eyelashes, LOL, and I don't let them walk on my head. I suspect they just trust you and like you. They sometimes show this by eating all the burrs off your socks. [​IMG]

8. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Oh yes, they peck you, I just call it a "chickie kiss". I'd rather that than have them run away, but you'll notice it's probably cupboard love when you get mugged.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by