1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pecking my poor Lucy!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whittychick, Feb 10, 2014.

1. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    My poor barred rock Lucy has a bare bum from other chickens pecking her [​IMG] why is this happening? I don't see any sign of mites or anything and they are getting plenty of treats, protein and oyster shells! Please someone give advice for me!! Maybe boredom? How can I stop this or at least help her heal ASAP! Thanks

2. ctrydame

ctrydame New Egg

Jan 3, 2014
    my lil bitzy is being pecked .as well, on her head and. body, She is the smallest of 4 Austaloups. I used anti biatic cream and that seemed to her h.elp heal, but they are at her again. I think I may have to separate her. would like some advice.???[​IMG]

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Bring them inside,keep them separate until wounds heal.

Lucy may have new fathers coming in or may have a bare bottom,both of these scenarios can result in pecking/picking and chickens find this irresistible. Once one starts,they all do.

Bitzy may be at the bottom of the pecking order and you might have a couple of "mean"girls. Bring her inside and separate until wounds heal. Before reintroducing her,bring in another docile hen pair them together,see if they get along. often if they have a friend the pecking is reduced or stopped. See if you can find the instigator,separate her for a couple of days while reintroducing Blitzy,this might give her an attitude adjustment and the pecking order will be changed.

After Lucy's wounds have healed,bring a friend in for her,follow the same treatment as for Blitzy.

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you in the flock [​IMG]

I also am having this problem and there is plenty of feed just the way it is
    and about the only thing I can do is to separate them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by