Pecking? Or mites...?

lizzie201296

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 16, 2010
Hi all,

We have two hybrid hens, both about a year and a half now. We lost one of our ladies in the summer due to a broken egg inside her and she basically hemeoraged
sad.png

Since then we have increased their calcium intake, as we read that it could have been due to a lack of calcium. SO far we have had no problems with either of our two remaining girls (apart from Gerty, the smaller one, had worms when she was a few months old. That was quickly sorted though.)

So they are both healthy (or so we think).

They have a lot of space....even when there were 3 of them they had a lot of room. They have a house which houses maximum 6 hens, and an enclosure about 10 feet all round ( I think...my mental measurents aren't great.) But basically, they have a lot of room between them.

We feed them a diet of layers pellets, corn and grit+oyster shell. They also have a pecka block.
However, they both have no feathers on their 'chest' and the skin underneath looks very red. There is no sign of mites, although I will have a closer look. We do however spray the coop weekly and use powder on the birds and their coop.
It could be them pecking each other, but I don't notice any feathers on the floor. What could it be??

P.s neither of them sleep on the perch (although there is one) - we think this is because our old hen who died used to sleep up there, and she was ''the boss''.

Thank you
L

I would check for mites at night with a helper and a light. However, I'd guess they are wearing off their chest feathers sleeping on the ground.

Maybe you need to change the roost -- new board, wide side of 2x4, possibly a little lower, in a different spot if you can -- just so they see it as different.

Thank you for the quick reply!!

I will look for mites this evening... The only thing that makes me think it could be something like mties is because there aren't any feathers lying on the ground - i assume that if they were pecking each other or they were rubbing when they sleep on the ground there would be feathers lying around?

L

They also could be going broody, they pull their own feathers out to create a bare skin patch so they can keep eggs warm.

At 18 months it is also time for their first major moult.

Back
Top Bottom