Pecking Order - Aggressive behavior

ronna jozef

Songster
Dec 14, 2017
Today I had to put down my beloved Drake Peking Tote. He was my favorite very sweet and looked most like Donald duck.

These ducks all 8 of them were abandoned here at my pond - We lost Matilda a few months ago and the flock was upset for a while. She was like the Mom in the flock!

There were 2 boys Tote and Walter. So 5 Girls and 2 Boys. There was a pecking order and my smaller peking petunia I noticed was shrugged off a few times from Walter!

Tote the other Male was in the duck house for the last 2 weeks under Medical Attention and his breathing and health were in decline - Yesterday one of the girl ducks started attacking little petunia and the other Drake Walter was also not letting her eat . I put the bully girl duck in side in cadge

Everything seemed to escalate yesterday - I had to bring Tote in MY house last night and the Vet this Morning - in the Morning I let the bully girl out and she started attaching Petunia Again- She was placed back in the duck house on lock down.

When I put everyone in the House tonight - Tote was not there for the first time and Walter started getting aggressive again to little petunia.

So upset I put him in cadge also - I know sometimes they say that the one being attached is sick - she is not - I think the lose of Tote has caused an imbalance in the flock and they are upset .

Please help in TEARS WRITHING THIS- IT IS TO MUCH TO HAVE THE LOSE OF TOTE AND NOW HAVE THEM ATTACKING PETUNIA
26993364_1600247880054247_3743373980416663095_n.jpg
26993364_1600247880054247_3743373980416663095_n.jpg Tote

Attachments

• 40479069_1868288926583473_2467221307234713600_n (1) (4).jpg
    40479069_1868288926583473_2467221307234713600_n (1) (4).jpg
    856.3 KB · Views: 14
Thank you - I started to observe more of there behavior and determined it is one girl duck that just will not stop attaching petunia - the both of them are at the end of the pecking order - petunia last - Since the other Male tote is gone - It is just Walter with the 5 girl ducks and this started right after Toto passed -

I am not sure what in the world to do! I put the bully duck in the duck house - for 3 days now - when I let her out she goes right after Petunia again - bitting right at her neck- so back in duck house she goes!

Has anyone had this happen -Petunia is not sick and other ducks are not doing this to her

HELP

I have a similar problem with my Muscovy drake and my gander my drake goes after my gander every chance he gets so I have been turning the hose on my drake he hates to get hit with the hose. I am not using a soft hit either. It diverts his attention and makes him go the opposite direction. They are not penned just inside fencing. And they don't sleep in the same house either. It's so hard to know how to deal with these issues. You hate to keep them separated but options are limited unless you think rehoming might be one solution.

Today I had to put down my beloved Drake Peking Tote. He was my favorite very sweet and looked most like Donald duck.

These ducks all 8 of them were abandoned here at my pond - We lost Matilda a few months ago and the flock was upset for a while. She was like the Mom in the flock!

There were 2 boys Tote and Walter. So 5 Girls and 2 Boys. There was a pecking order and my smaller peking petunia I noticed was shrugged off a few times from Walter!

Tote the other Male was in the duck house for the last 2 weeks under Medical Attention and his breathing and health were in decline - Yesterday one of the girl ducks started attacking little petunia and the other Drake Walter was also not letting her eat . I put the bully girl duck in side in cadge

Everything seemed to escalate yesterday - I had to bring Tote in MY house last night and the Vet this Morning - in the Morning I let the bully girl out and she started attaching Petunia Again- She was placed back in the duck house on lock down.

When I put everyone in the House tonight - Tote was not there for the first time and Walter started getting aggressive again to little petunia.

So upset I put him in cadge also - I know sometimes they say that the one being attached is sick - she is not - I think the lose of Tote has caused an imbalance in the flock and they are upset .

Please help in TEARS WRITHING THIS- IT IS TO MUCH TO HAVE THE LOSE OF TOTE AND NOW HAVE THEM ATTACKING PETUNIAView attachment 1918626 View attachment 1918626Tote
I have a similar problem with my Muscovy drake and my gander my drake goes after my gander every chance he gets so I have been turning the hose on my drake he hates to get hit with the hose. I am not using a soft hit either. It diverts his attention and makes him go the opposite direction. They are not penned just inside fencing. And they don't sleep in the same house either. It's so hard to know how to deal with these issues. You hate to keep them separated but options are limited unless you think rehoming might be one solution.

Please help in TEARS WRITHING THIS- IT IS TO MUCH TO HAVE THE LOSE OF TOTE AND NOW HAVE THEM ATTACKING PETUNIAView attachment 1918626 View attachment 1918626Tote

Back
Top Bottom