Pecking order Blues

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 7L Farm, Jun 1, 2012.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Songster

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I hatched 39 chicks that live in a super big coop. I noticed a few fights amongst them & woke up the other morning to find one chicken dead. Looked as the flock pecked one chicken to death. The flock is around 5 weeks old & seem very healthy & active. I did open the chick up thinking maybe she had worms but none were found. She/ he looked to have been pecked around her neck. Just curious if this has happened to anyone else. I've never experienced this before & have three different flocks. Guess it was their pecking order that caused the death but not entirely sure.

2. sheena85

sheena85 Chirping

Apr 11, 2012
    Hart County,Kentucky
    i have heard it's caused by over populating them but if you have enouch space then idk ? sometimes if one gets pecked and it draws blood then all the chicks will peck it until death....if you have any more that has been injuried then you need to removed them at once or the smae thing can happen again :(

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I don't think so, I think that it may have just failed to thrive, and when it got sick or weak, then they picked on it. Chickens do not tolerate a weak or sick flock mate.

If you have had 3 flocks, and this is your first death, you are exceptionally good, or lucky. Sometimes chicks just die. It is discouraging and sad, but it happens.

I would be quite surprised if a chick still in a brooder pen had worms, they have to be out in the coop/run or free range to pick up the eggs.

If no more die, then I would not worry about it, if suddenly you have more sick, then you will have reevaluate your set up. Separating the healthy from the sick pronto.

MrsK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: