Pecking order complete...

Eggstaticnewbie

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 12, 2014
Peoria, IL
Okay so it's been a week since we brought our first-ever hens home. They all came from the same farm, though were around many more hens and a couple of roosters. So, one week later, I have 5 hens...2 are bossy, 2 don't care, and Checkers, who looks skinnier than when we got her. I know she eats, just not as much. Seems like she just looks at the bossy hens and they peck and chase her. I see Checker's feathers around. Not sure what to do. We will try more than one watering site. I already spread the food around quite a bit, though the bossy ones go from one to another, by then, Checkers has given up, and stays out of the way. Seems as she watches for no hen to be at a feed area for a while, then she tries. It use to be that Checkers was the first to greet me when I brought them food...now, she hides out of the way for the others. Hard to watch such bullying!

They are all about 15 months old...purchased Spring of 2013. I just fed them breakfast, and Checkers has eaten plenty. I spread the food out as usual, but the pecking order rules seem to have settled down a bit with this meal. Maybe they are just too hungry to care?

It can take more than a week for them to reset the pecking order in their new environment and get settled in.

There will always be a pecking order, someone will always be pecked everyday. As long as no one is bleeding or getting trapped/cornered and abused, just let them do their thing.

If you watch closely and patiently someone gets pecked, might squawk and run away, then 2 seconds later go back to scratching or what ever..... not in the least concerned or stressed or injured. You'll learn when to be concerned and when not to.

Space is the key to allowing the pecked to move away, and multiple food stations can help.

I have 6 hens and they have just reestablished another order. One particular hen who was at the top of the pecking order got picked on a lot and it took about a week for them to settle down. It was really hard to watch this time, because they were especially mean to this hen. They wouldn't even let her near the waterer. I had to add another waterer as well as additional food dishes. Life has settled down for now, but I know another dethroning is not far away. Hens can be such little drama queens.

In animals, access to food is one of the main reasons to be dominant. That's the whole reason for the pecking order, basically to see who gets to eat first. In the wild, stronger, more dominant animals get to eat first, the choice bits, and are therefore stronger and more likely to survive predator attacks, not get ill, and reproduce. It's 100% normal for the omega animal to have scanter access to food, but as domesticated animals we can make sure there's enough for them to eat. They may have to work for the food a little, but I really don't think it bothers them as much as it does us, to watch. They know their status and accept it. Humans want everyone to be equal and friends, and animals just don't work that way.

In animals, access to food is one of the main reasons to be dominant. That's the whole reason for the pecking order, basically to see who gets to eat first. In the wild, stronger, more dominant animals get to eat first, the choice bits, and are therefore stronger and more likely to survive predator attacks, not get ill, and reproduce. It's 100% normal for the omega animal to have scanter access to food, but as domesticated animals we can make sure there's enough for them to eat.

They may have to work for the food a little, but I really don't think it bothers them as much as it does us, to watch. They know their status and accept it. Humans want everyone to be equal and friends, and animals just don't work that way.
Exactly!!

Back
Top Bottom