Pecking Order, is it wrong to move them

Sound more like a bad sprain and definitely no hopping off Roosts with a long period of resting it.
Question, should i let her sleep on the floor of the coop? She can't get up the ramp to the roost and is on the floor of the coop till I put her up. Should I leave her down? She's all by herself down there and wouldn't want to isolate her from her gang? But I see your point of her having to jump down in the morning?

Question, should i let her sleep on the floor of the coop? She can't get up the ramp to the roost and is on the floor of the coop till I put her up. Should I leave her down? She's all by herself down there and wouldn't want to isolate her from her gang? But I see your point of her having to jump down in the morning?
Yes..Let her sleep where she chooses.

You could make a really low roost that she can get to on her own, at least she won't be sleeping in her poop......tho I have birds that sleep on the poop board(cleaned daily) with no ill effects. I would let her decide where to sleep.

I think she would rather sleep with the other girls? But I've been having to put up the 3 younger ones due to pecking order, Clover picks on them LOL. So if I leave them down to "be with Lucy" then would that work? I just don't want the younguns to get use to sleeping on the floor of the coop? Or is that OK too? LOL so many questions.

I'll do so tonight, thank you!!!!!
I will tell you what I can for now. Our coop is 4x6 with free access to the 6x14 (i think) covered run, predator proof. I have a 10x10 dog kennel attached to the coop/run for extra space during the day. We have 5 1 yr old hens and 3 10 week old chicks. The hubby just revamped our roosting arrangement for added chicks so that is what I'll have to post tonight.

We are in the process of expanding the dog kennel hoping for completion in the next week or so that will give the girls 435 sq ft of play area. It will have an automatic door from the main run into the play yard. I will post pics of that as well for suggestions. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom