Pecking order- Leave them be or intervene?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by daniel-delarosa, Jul 17, 2011.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Seminole, Oklahoma
    I put a new bantam roo in with my 6 Buff Chantecler hens and 1 rooster. The little bantam is getting picked on like crazy. I put him in a cage inside the coop to see if that will help. Hes been in there for two days now. How long will it take for them to get used to him. Or should I let him out and let them work it out? I feel bad because he is so dang small.

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I think you should get him some banty hens to go with him. [​IMG] You might want to consider separating him with a flock of his own, that way the hens won't get over mated from having too many roosters. [​IMG] It's okay if you don't, and I would say that if you want to put him back in with your standards then wait a couple days and then put him in. If things get serious, separate them, but as long as nothing serious is happening then let it happen, because the pecking order needs to be worked out. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

How big is your coop?

4. daniel-delarosa

Dec 14, 2010
    Seminole, Oklahoma
    The coop and run is 8x15 all together. The coop is elevated also.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Its hard to intro one chicken & really hard if the chicken is smaller or even a different color. I intro one dom to my flock of 10 & one roo RIR's it took three months to get her accepted. I will never I repeat never do it again.

6. daniel-delarosa

Dec 14, 2010
    Seminole, Oklahoma
    Would two be easier? I can get another one from the same flock.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Could be he'd at least have a buddy that way... But I think you're going to just have to let them work it out, either way. Can they get outside so he has a chance to escape?

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Established flock roosters rarely accept another rooster in an enclosed space. Given his size and sex I doubt that the bantam rooster can be successfully introduced to this flock.

9. Cpprpnny19

Cpprpnny19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Middleboro
    He most likely will get beaten up so badly that he will die on you.
    From what I understand, 2 roosters not raised together will not
    tolerate each other?
    I have a hen that was put in at night with a flock of red and white
    hens and 1 rooster-she was attacked and all the feathers on her topknot ripped
    out.

I have her here now and so far after 3 days she looks like she will make it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I'd give it a week and then try to integrate once more. See if he is seriously getting injured or merely run around and pecked whenever he approaches. I admit that free ranging allows for more freedom when it comes to integration but his breed, size or sex shouldn't matter one iota. He will learn to avoid the top roo and the hens will accept him given time.

I've integrated roos of different sources, chicks of different ages, hens from another place, etc. It all helps if they are given time to get used to each other before they actually can touch. They will still have to establish a pecking order but they shouldn't continue this after this had been established. It might also help if you separate him along with one of your more friendly hens and reintroduce them both back into the flock in about a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by