1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pecking order or B*tchy hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by babychickfarmer, May 24, 2007.

1. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

So I have noticed that when I hoold a pullet and they scream that one of my hens ANNALISE(she's about a year old) comes over and just watches ....then as soon as I put someone down she'll run after them and either flap her wings and fluff her feathers or she'll peck them and rip some feathers out. Is that ust part of pecking order or what? She seems to do it to all the pullets everytime I set them down but only if they made a lot of noise in my arms. :[​IMG]

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG] Strange... Maybe she thinks you're HER "rooster"?

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I've noticed that also. I'm only venturing a guess here as to the reason...
    Because the one you are holding is fussing, Annalise probably thinks that you are exerting your dominance. Perhaps she views herself right under you in the pecking order, so she is just taking the opportunity to reinforce that idea to the one you just put down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by