Pecking order?... Or something else?...

sloanbychoice

Crowing
Dec 29, 2019
Wichita, Kansas
So, I’m well aware of the pecking order, and I know that certain things can cause shifts in it.
But, lately I’ve got some major changes in behavior.
Pecking order around here changes very little. I haven’t added to the flock, I’m with them every morning and evening, no changes in feed, and not much else different.
That said, I can’t say that nothing is different.
1. I culled the rooster about two months ago.
2. I’ve had to treat for lice recently.
3. We built a new run, as predator proof as you can get.

A. I assumed the rooster leaving would change things up pretty good, but I watched in the days and weeks following, and there weren’t any drastic changes. Would they be just now reacting to this?
B. I wouldn’t think lice treatment would do anything, but maybe they’re irritable?
C. The new run... could this be seen as a territory thing? New dominance needed?

Our usual has always been a tiny scuff over a piece of feed, or someone eating too closely to someone else, or being too close on the roost. The lead hen will occasionally get bossy over someone looking at her wrong.
The normal way of dealing with that is usually a swift peck on the head and that’s that. They’ve never actually fought.

Lately, I’m seeing hens staring off at each other, then starting a pretty good pecking match, some flogging, and then this fast-moving blur of hatred.
No one is getting severely injured.
But will they?
So far, twice now, I’ve had a barred rock step in, grab one of the offenders, and toss her aside to get the fight to stop. It does.
Tonight, two others started a fight, then even after being told by a human, rather vehemently, to stop it, they continued to stare off at each other.

What the heck is going on?

I don’t want to intervene, as I believe human intervention is usually the cause of many animal problems, but am I missing something?

When I got rid of my rooster this happened also. It took a while for them to notice he was gone I guess. But then their squabbling picked up in frequency and intensity. So I got a rooster again lol. He’s just a bantam Cochin but the fighting died down. I swear I would’ve never believed that would do the trick.
Personally, I also think they were getting pretty sick of winter too.

Back
Top Bottom