Pecking order question

lizrndiver

Songster
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
South Beloit, IL
To make a long story short.....I have a BR pullet that was living under our deck. The farmer that lives behind us got her back from some girls that had hatched her and didn't want her anymore. He was going to butcher her unless we wanted to keep her. SO last weekend we build a coop and today I went to get her some flockmates.

I had guessed she was about 16 weeks old, but when I got to the farm that was selling pullets, their 11 week old pullets seemed closer in size than their 16 week olds. So after some discussion with the farmer, I bought one of each age. We figured that since none of the pullets had been together in the same pen, they were all on their own and my pullet would be in the middle size wise.

I got them home and put the newbies into the pen. Initially my BR freaked out. Then she and the 11 week old have been "hanging out" in one of the nest boxes while the older pullet periodically picks on them. At times, the older girl is in the coop and the other 2 are in the run. All are eating and drinking, however they keep tipping over the feed and water with the chasing.

I know this will take some time, but how long should it take? Also I did notice that the 11 week old pullet makes some chick and some hen sounds. Could this make things worse for her? I did not quarantine since I only had one chicken. What should I watch for besides bleeding wounds?

Thanks,

Liz

You may want to get a hanging feeder and waterer.

DSC00559.jpg
2009-18-02008.jpg

Unless they are hurting each other, it's probably best to let them sort things out. They usually do. Sometimes isolating the bossy one for a day or two will settle things down.

Okay so the "farm" chickens have settled down, but my original hand raised chicken is still freaking out. Now I am wondering if she just needs to get used to being with other chickens and not just people. After all, she was hand raised as an only chick before she came to live with us.

Any thoughts?

Liz

Back
Top Bottom