Pecking Order- Rooster not on Top???

Aylala88

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 7, 2012
Rural Nebraska
So I adopted two adult silkie roosters.. one full black in color and the other fully white. Then I added in my chicks... (all hens) 2 cochins, 3 rhode islands, 1 yokohama, 2 California Whites, and 7 silver laced Wyandottes. I expected the adult roosters to be in charge but it seems the Wyandottes are in charge. My silkies call out with excitement whenever they find something good to eat and two of the Wyandottes rush over and take it away! Every time! I thought eventually they would stop announcing their finds but they haven't. The hens are only half grown. Is this normal?

I had chickens before but the rooster was ALWAYS in charge.

Roosters are SUPPOSE to call their girls over food.Trust me i'm sure that they are on top.

Sometimes roosters do not always stay on top or sometimes never made it up on the top.

So I adopted two adult silkie roosters.. one full black in color and the other fully white. Then I added in my chicks... (all hens) 2 cochins, 3 rhode islands, 1 yokohama, 2 California Whites, and 7 silver laced Wyandottes. I expected the adult roosters to be in charge but it seems the Wyandottes are in charge. My silkies call out with excitement whenever they find something good to eat and two of the Wyandottes rush over and take it away! Every time! I thought eventually they would stop announcing their finds but they haven't. The hens are only half grown. Is this normal?

I had chickens before but the rooster was ALWAYS in charge.
How long have the 'roosters' been in with the flock?
What is wrong with the boys calling out goodies and the girls coming to eat them? Sounds pretty normal to me.

I never really saw my adult roos as part of the pecking order. They were above it/in charge of it/aware of it but never really meddled in it. As I think @aart was alluding to by asking 'how long the roosters have been in the flock', it will take some time for a new adult roo to take over as leader of the flock. They will stand back and observe and slowly start asserting their dominance after they've gotten the 'lay of the land'.

If the new roo(s) are just young(er) cockerels AND you have some surly ol' battleaxe hens in your flock...well then all bets are off for asserting their teenage dominance anytime soon. They will mature though and take their rightful place as flock leader eventually.

My best roo by far is my current young gentleman. Raised with 7 surly ol' battle-hardened hens, they smacked him around and taught him manners EVERY chance they got when he was a young punk. Now that he's fully grown, the tables have turned and he's the one who leads the ol' biddies. He takes such good care of them too...ALWAYS calls them to food and will almost never eat any treats we give. He'll either hold the treat in his beak for the hens to take or make a show of dropping/picking-up/dropping it all while making his unending food-call to the ladies. By the time the sea of excited hens has finished crashing around his feet there's usually nothing left for him. That's a good boy in my book.
big_smile.png

I never really saw my adult roos as part of the pecking order. They were above it/in charge of it/aware of it but never really meddled in it. As I think @aart was alluding to by asking 'how long the roosters have been in the flock', it will take some time for a new adult roo to take over as leader of the flock. They will stand back and observe and slowly start asserting their dominance after they've gotten the 'lay of the land'.

If the new roo(s) are just young(er) cockerels AND you have some surly ol' battleaxe hens in your flock...well then all bets are off for asserting their teenage dominance anytime soon. They will mature though and take their rightful place as flock leader eventually.

My best roo by far is my current young gentleman. Raised with 7 surly ol' battle-hardened hens, they smacked him around and taught him manners EVERY chance they got when he was a young punk. Now that he's fully grown, the tables have turned and he's the one who leads the ol' biddies. He takes such good care of them too...ALWAYS calls them to food and will almost never eat any treats we give. He'll either hold the treat in his beak for the hens to take or make a show of dropping/picking-up/dropping it all while making his unending food-call to the ladies. By the time the sea of excited hens has finished crashing around his feet there's usually nothing left for him. That's a good boy in my book.
big_smile.png
Exactly!

big_smile.png

I guess my last old rooster wasn't much of a gentlemen. I never saw him do any of those things. These new guys I believe are younger (don't know..bought at sale barn). My hens are babies yet... All born the end of May. I had the roosters a week before I introduced my chicks. Its the black rooster that calls out when he finds the goodies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom