Pecking order...think I have a problem...

hawtchick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
New Hampshire
I have 12 8-9 week old chicks that are thriving and growing, but one of my silver laced wyandotte pullets is looking pretty sketchy.
Her feathers seem to be disapearing and she seems to be at the bottom of the barrel so to speak.
I thought I caught one of the chicks peck her very lightly, just to take a piece of tail fluff, but it made me think he may not be eating enough and getting picked on.
I have never had an issue with pecking before with my flocks, so what do I do?
I am thinking I should separate her and spoil him with protien rich snackies and his feed.
If I separate her should I do it in the coop with the others or bring him inside with us?
I hate for her to be all alone, so any advice is greatly appreciated.
FWIW, I have not seen any blood to speak of on her and all poos are normal looking.
She is also eating, drinking and playing normally too, so I don't believe it's illness.
Thanks sooo much!!

jess

Sounds rather normal. Just be sure that they don't draw blood. I keep No Peck on hand. Had to use it a few times but now they seem to be settled in. Now they are about grown and the rooster is getting ideas so there is a little fussing but no major pecking. Good Luck

You can also use vicks salve (vapo rub). They arn't suspose to like the taste, so it deters picking.
frow.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
If your chicken has obvious areas where she's being pecked, I would apply the no pick or pine tar (my personal favorite). Messy messy stuff, but works great.
Also, try taking your chicken aside once or twice a day and offering her high protein snacks - cheese, yogurt, etc. If she's not getting enough to eat this may help her catch up.

Last edited:
No Peck is a brand name of stuff that you dobb on pecked spots. It has healing properties and the others don't like the taste. It stains their feathers that it gets on but that helped me identify them. I'm sure pine tar is good to cause No Peck contains it as well as teatree oil and other goodies. Good Luck Sorry i missed part of the question. No i didn't seperate them, just kept a close eye on them once skin was showing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom