Pecking Order...will a single chicken freeze without being in the huddle at night?

BBB Becky

Chirping
Nov 15, 2016
Georgetown, MA
I have six golden comets. These are my first chickens and live in MA. Five of chickens roost together on the high bar. The sixth chicken is alone on the low bar. Will she survive in the winters without other chickens next to her?

I have one hen who loves to be by herself. There is plenty of room on my upper roost for everyone, but she just refuses to go up. She survived last winter no issues at all. She is an orphington though, and they tend to be pretty hardy.

When a bird won't join the others on a roost it's usually because they are pecking at her or forcing her off (pecking order). Or she may be afraid to try and join them. Do you notice them bothering her when they are outdoors?

I don't know if she would freeze - it depends on your weather, as well the construction of your coop. You could help her stay a bit warmer if you tack a towel to her roost area. Chickens like to lay their head down over their feet to keep them warm.

Make sure that towel doesn't get damp....could have the opposite effect....more like an ice cube.
Never seen a chicken put is head on its' feet to keep them warm, definitely nestle their breast and belly feathers over their feet tho.

Have had many birds roost 'alone' in winter, they were fine.

Back
Top Bottom