Pecking order

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazy hen quartet, Dec 21, 2008.

1. crazy hen quartet

crazy hen quartet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Chandler AZ
    So, I went out to pick up poop in the pen the other day and as I bent over to scoop, our BR jumped up on my back and stayed there until I stood up, probably 20-30 seconds or so. What a shocker, and my son nearly died laughing [​IMG]

At the time, she was at the head of the pecking order in the flock. I am wondering if this was an attempt to establish her dominance over me?

2. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    Probably, I mean we had many hens and 1 roo who kept on trying to become more dominant than my family and visitors. they attacked at any moment.

We tried to beat them at their little dominance games but they were persistant .

So my mom got tired of the bullying and sent those guys away [​IMG]
    Still missin em.

3. allisojo

allisojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    I don't know. The friendliest of our hens jumps on my back or shoulder fairly regularly, but that's just to get attention, I think. She's always running up and jumping on somebody's lap or arm. She's sweet (although I'd be lying if I didn't think occasionally she gives me that "I could eat your eyebrow" look). Maybe it's just an attention-seeking behavior?

4. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I don't have any chickens yet -- so I don't have any practical experience.

However, if I thought that the chickens were acting aggessively (as opposed to just wanting to jump on my shoulder or lap), I would come armed with a spray bottle!!!![​IMG]

Cindy

5. crazy hen quartet

Dec 20, 2008
    Chandler AZ
    She isn't aggressive towards me, actually none of them are. My other thought was that since I often come in with a treat this was just her attempt to get attention and/or look for a treat.

Lately when I come in with treats she won't even wait for me to sit down to share them, she just flies right up and lands on my arm and starts eating away.

One of the reasons I wondered if it was a dominance thing is because one of my EE's who is at the bottom of the pecking order presents to me at least once a day, lol... so I thought maybe she wanted to be clear that while I am in the pecking order, I am not at the top.

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

They're so funny, all of my hens will do that *except* my alpha girl...[​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When my girls were young whenever the roos would try to mate them (and the girls wanted no part of it) they would fly up to our shoulders to get away from the roos. The only reason the girls don't do it now is that they have gotten too heavy to fly.
    I don't think she's trying to dominate you. She was just being friendly and curious.

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

she wasnt claimin dominance,,, they do that by biting, and chasing you,, she just felt safe up there and wanted to look around [​IMG]

9. crazy hen quartet

Dec 20, 2008
    Chandler AZ
    Good to know she feels safe around me! [​IMG]

10. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Gotta love those pretty hens! [​IMG]

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by