Pecking order

I’m thinking they’re bored is why they’re pecking each other.
I bought them some toys and installed them over the weekend. I’m waiting for the weekend to come to see how they’re doing!!
Please let me know your thoughts!! Thank you!

A compost pile, or a pile of dry leaves, or a bale of straw can be a lot of fun for chickens. They keep scratching through it looking for bits of stuff to eat. These kinds of things usually provide lots of exercise (scratching) for not too much food, so you don't have to worry about them getting fat from it.

If you normally sprinkle a bit of scratch for them to eat, try mixing it into their bedding, so they have to scratch and hunt for it. That way it keeps them busy longer.

That's a pretty decent size for 15. I was expecting you to say you had a lot more birds, for some reason. What's that saying about assuming? LOL!

Could they be molting? It is that time of year. Or are you seeing actual pecking wounds???

But maybe their feathers are just being blown off! Goodness! That wind! I hope you and your home are ok!!!!!
I would say possibly molting but two roosters are getting pecked too. We’re ok, straight west of us has/had a big fire with the wind, there were two more down southeast and one south west of us too!! Haven’t heard anything lately

I would say possibly molting but two roosters are getting pecked too. We’re ok, straight west of us has/had a big fire with the wind, there were two more down southeast and one south west of us too!! Haven’t heard anything lately
Thats terrifying!!! I'm glad you are ok!

We were under evacuation warning this past summer when a fire hit within a mile of us. We were lucky. Lots of folks weren't.
😥

Maybe you just have one or two offenders. If you get a chance, maybe observe them or install a camera (some trail cams are pretty inexpensive). Then you might be able to narrow it down and then separate the offender. Or you could try separating the ducks and see of that helps.

I hope the winds calm down soon!

Back
Top Bottom