pecking order!

Johnn

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
i got two new hens on saturday and they have been settling in with the rest of the flocks there was a few fight but any ways, today i went and one of my old hens had there combs cut and one wass getting pecked by the one that was ment to be under it in the pecking order but is now above the top hen was always looking for a fight, all my hens have started there pecking order again it is really bad my light sussex chases the new ones pecking and flapping at them and its all a mess

Have you quarantined the new birds to avoid the spread of disease? I would quarantine the new birds and separate them for awhile until they get used to each other

After quarantine I free range them together during the day and back in quarantine quarters at night. When things settle down put them on the roost of the main coop at night.

Also you may want to keep the new ones in some kind of cage or behind a wire barrier for a week or so. This won't stop the fighting, but it will make it a little less brutal.

well its not really that bad with the new ones because they no there place and stay out the way but my old ones will NOT give up there place in the pecking order, its them that are doing the bad fighting

Back
Top Bottom