pecking order

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bazjo, Dec 2, 2011.

1. bazjo

bazjo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    [​IMG]

Out in the garden all together , one of the other chickens (black one Miss Schnitzel) is a bit nasty and will go at the new chick ... she tries and stay`s out of miss schnitzels way ... will it last for long ???? there being looked after over christmas so they have to all get along by then 2 weeks .......do you think this will happen??? thanks baby is just over 5 weeks old ..........

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

No. Probably won't happen until than. I let them work it out for themselves. Some of my younger ones are still being picked on after months together [​IMG]

Looks like the others don't mind him [​IMG]

ETA: My Delware is such a pain to any of the young ones. They will learn to stay clear and respect her eventually.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  3. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Beautiful hens!!
    What breed is Ms. Schnitzel? She looks just like my hen that was sold to me as a Black Copper Marans (but has no copper).

Hopefully, the young one will bond with one of the other older hens and that hen will provide some protection from Ms. S. It looks like the white hen is saying, "Hey, lay off the kid, would ya?!"

4. bazjo

bazjo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Miss Schnitzel is a Australorp cross new hamshire she has coppery tones on the neck feathers ............... Miss cranky pants though still ............. : )
    Miss nugget RR Is Mum ........ she picks on the Sussex ........ pecking order ........... I guess .......... some one metions nando the chick is a him ??? what breed do you think ???
    I got pot luck fertile eggs ???? cheers

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Bazjo,

Funny my nickname since high school has been SBAZ (ie Steve Baslow) with my last name being cut short to BAZ. LOL

Regarding you little girl now and I would put a lot of obstacles in the run and the coop for her to hide behind and around when Miss Schnitzel is in one of her moods to be a mean. I have successfully introduced little ones to a older flock but in most cases I had to be referee to make sure my big girls did not hurt the little one while acclimating them into 1 coop. I put large rock, cinder blocks, tree branches, food dishes and water dishes to run around and the advantage the little one has is speed and a tiny body and Miss Schnitzel has a larger body and in her older life is not as fast and agile as the small chick..

Here is a picture of some of mu run and obstacles.

On the Grass in the yard made from wood and painted.
    [​IMG]

In the coop with I put large rock, cinder blocks, tree branches, food dishes and water dishes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] to the BYC

6. bazjo

bazjo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    cheers thanks ............. I will gather a few things to take to the friends coop ...... Nandos is mighty fast and has a bit of sense to stay out of Miss Schnitzels way .............. though still she still is unpredictable ........

7. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:Hi Steve [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Where ever did you get those darling wooden chicks!!! They are incredible [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by