1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pecking Problem!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by eggster12, Aug 22, 2014.

1. eggster12

eggster12 New Egg

Aug 13, 2014
    I have 12 hens. They are 17 months old. When they were about 14 months my two silver laced wyandottes started to have bare backs, at the time I thought this was because of molting. Then as the months went by many other chickens got bare backs and bare bottoms too. My only chickens who look pretty good are my 2 white leghorns and broody chicken who is always in the nesting box. I've came to conclusion that my 2 leghorns are the peckers because on many occasions I've seen them pecking the other chickens. I've tried blue coat but it just isn't working. Should I separate them from the others? Any suggestions would be very appreciated![​IMG]

2. Free as a Bird

Free as a Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    New England
    Do they have a run area or a place to run around? This could help entertain the chickens and give the pecked ones a place to run away. They also could be bored. I have heard of hanging lettuce or fruit or nailing it to a wall. New interesting treats might work as well. Hope this helps!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by