Pecking problems ever stop once started?

Bizichick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Washington State
I have 5 hens and 1 rooster that are a little over a year old. About a month ago I tried adding 3 more hens to the flock. The new ones are about 3 months old. The rooster and original chickens are not showing many if any signs of accepting the younger ones.
They wont allow the younger ones out of the coop and into the yard. They are keeping them from them food....etc.
I was hoping things would work out eventually but now one of the younger ones (the one that seems to be the leader of the little group) is in bad shape. I found her about a week ago.....barely able to walk.....no blood, but bruises all over her body under her wings. I put her in a kennel for a couple of days, then let her out to free range for a bit under close supervision. She seemed to have over done it because she started dragging again. Back into the kennel for a couple more days. Now she has perked up a bit. When I let her out, I either let her out with only the others in her group or with everyone and I supervise. The problem is I am continually chasing the rooster away from her because he seems to always go back to pecking her which seems to get the other hens wanting to peck on her. Even when she is in the kennel, the rooster tends to be over snooping around her.
I have put vaseline on her head and back. Also on the other 2 just to be safe. I have heard that will help with the pecking.
I guess my questions are.....now that they have picked the one to peck on, is there a chance it will ever stop? Is there a chance that the 3 will ever be accepted after a month? If the one that they are going after is removed from the flock, will the others most likely just start picking on one of the other little ones? Is there anything I can do to help with the process?
Any input is appreciated....I have really become attached to the 3 little ones and hope I can figure this out.
fl.gif

The pecking might improve, but they will still have a hierarchy no matter what. You might want to separate the roo for a little while (not more than a day, otherwise he will get more aggressive) and see if that helps. I would put him where everyone can still see him. Situations like this are delicate and can be hard to handle, but just do what you think is right for your birds, since nobody knows them better than you. If the rooster is causing problems he might need to take a trip to freezer camp, but hopefully it won't come to that.

Thanks for the input! =D I was posting this for my mom so I will pass the idea on to her. I kinda wondered if the roo may need to take a one way trip too....lol. This is one of the reasons I have decided not to keep an myself. They seem to be great protectors of the flock but only on their terms....lol so if you are not accepted by the rooster....things can get ugly.

Back
Top Bottom