pecking unmercifully..

Wishing you peace with whatever decision your heart guides you to make.
hugs.gif

So sorry you have to go through this, I can't even imagine how hard it must feel...

I have 3 pullets that were mercilessly chasing and pecking one other pullet and I ordered the clip on peepers from Egg Cartons.
Put them on the 3 bad girls yesterday and no more shrieking from the chicken pen! Everything is much easier for my pullets and me to live with, now.

I am going to order some of those clip on peepers.

My chickens are vicious to one another. I have 18, and probably 10-12 of them have little feathers left. I have tried everything. I thought maybe it was lice or mites... nope... but ive been treating them anyways. ithought it was the diet... im still making adjustments to that.

we had a really agressive rooster that we got rid of but the pecking continues. one of my hens was bloody when i let them out yesturday morning. its been a roller coaster ride with these chickens!!!

A couple of things to consider:
Do the hens have enough space?
Are they bored? Give them stuff to scratch on the floor and hang cabbage from a string and if you can let them free-range at all, that might help focus their attention on other things.
Are the hens all the same size? It helps to give them equal footing if they are dominating each other.
If you can't let them free-range, do they have a large run to go in during the day? Maybe you could expand the size of a run... or perhaps have less birds?
Good luck with it...

Quote:
So sorry for your troubles, but thank you for sharing. Just goes to show how out of hand it can get, even if we try interventions very early. I have a bunch of roos headed for the freezer in a few weeks, and am worried about this, too, even though I have yet to see anything but nonbloody minor squabbles (raised neck feathers, etc.) and pecks. I could isolate a couple, but then it would have to be early freezer camp. I don't want the hens who will be my layers to get any bad ideas from delinquents!

Im trynig to find out some info on the peepers too. Im wondering how will the chickens be able to get up into their roosts at night if they can only see down??

ddawn.. i had 7 roosters all at once and it was total chaos in my coop, thats when this whole ordeal started in december. i culled all of the roosters in jan or feb and the behavior is still going on. I wish I could have culled them or given them away before I let it get out of hand.

Yes you can free range with peepers. It take them a few minutes to get use to them but other than that they can do everything normally. They roost, feed and behave normal. They just don't see RIGHT in front of them.

My hens have had them on for about a month or two and they work AWESOME!!!!

LOVE THE PEEPERS!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom