pecking

fresheggz

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
i noticed one of our chickens is missing a bunch of feathers on the back of her neck and on her back, and has some pecking wounds on the back of her neck. is there a good product to use to help prevent this, and any other suggestions to help out with this problem. we've got her seperated for the time being but it's raining outside and keeping her inside or on the screened porch isnt really an option due to dogs and cats. ive read about blue kote. does anyone have experience with this product and it's success or lack there of? thanks

Ive never dealt with pecking problems really, but first, do you have a rooster? If her back is missing feathers and so is her head/neck, it's highly possible that the rooster is doing it, if you have a rooster.

If this is the problem, then you could either separate her from the rooster or get a chicken saddle (look it up on Google). Some people on here make and sell chicken saddles, or you can make your own from a large sock (anyone have the link to how to make one?)

Ive never used blue kote but have heard that it works. I don't know much about it though.

Good luck and hopefully someone else will help you!

(P.S. I know that when a chick has a small injury and it bleeds, such as from being pecked on, you can add a red heat lamp in the brooder so the other chicks don't peck at the blood...since it will blend in with the red lamp and they won't notice anything to peck at. But not sure if it works with adult chickens? and if it's a rooster problem then it won't help really).

Back
Top Bottom