Pecking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jarcoo0153, Aug 16, 2010.

1. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I have some chicks that are almost three weeks old, and all of the black ones are being pecked by all the others. Their backs are bloody and scabby, I sprayed some Dermoplast on them, because that is all I had. Any suggestions on what I can put on it?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Make sure the chicks have plenty of room (overcrowding is a major contributor to bullying) and put little boxes, bricks, etc. in there for distractions. Also have more than one feeder/waterer available. Blue Kote (TS and other places) is supposed to deter picking/pecking. But something sounds wrong for there to be that severe of bully issues. You may have to section off a place for the little black chicks if things don't improve. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  3. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    I have heard some suggest that too much bright white light can enhance a pecking problem. Are you using a red heat lamp bulb? If you are not then that might be a suggestion.

4. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Have you observed the pecking? Is it one chick or all the other chicks ganging up on the black chicks? Is it possible that you have one "racist" chick who is abusing all the black chicks? (that sounds awful, but you know what I mean, right?)

5. Chevis

Chevis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Brunot
    I read in my "backyard poultry" mag, IODINE works and switching to a red lamp. If u can, Id seperate them. Good Luck!

6. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    The chicks are outside in the coop. I put some more bricks, jugs and other things for disstractions. They looked a lot better when I got to the farm after work today, The dermoplast really helped! No one was bloody today! The lady at my purina feed store sold me Farnam Swat clear formula, and it seemed to help too. I think that it was a racist chick, The one of the yellow ones ganged up on them, plus some of them are barred and thier new feathers have white tips, and I think that provoked some pecking too. I think I have it under control.
    Thanks,
    Jared

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by