Pecking

kada6305

Songster
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
Kersey, Pennsylvania
Not sure if this is the right place for this post or not. I have a hen who is missing feathers on her head-complexly bald. feathers and right above her tail feathers.. feathers on her wings look as if they are breaking off..noticed today our rooster and another hen pecking at her featherless head...what should I do?
I can post a picture of her tomorrow.

You might have to isolate her to give her a chance to heal. Wounds and injuries invite pecking. Are your chickens overcrowded?

Well i would seperate her from a roo. Go to your local feed store and see if the have poultry aid. You can also try bluekote if shes really bad.

My hens feathers are gone no wounds or blood or anything i never thought of it as a real problem but it just makes them look trashy

The roo may have pecked all her feathers off. He probably won't leave her alone as long as she has bare spots.

She isn't bleeding or any wounds. It was the rooster and another hen pecking at her. I made her a saddle to help the wings, can she wear it during the day? They all are free ranged and we only have one coop. how should I isolate her? The coop has a small run they use during the night. Should I just keep her in the coop during the day with the run?

Back
Top Bottom