Peeling dead skin on wattles and earlobes??

laurenjoers

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2019
Hi all! I’ve attached a few photos; my rooster recently developed dry, peeling skin on his face (wattles and earlobes). I know it’s his skin and not something on his face because it got worse over the last few days. There is nothing on his upper cheeks or comb. Some context; he did have a respiratory infection/virus last week but he recovered, and we did give him VetRX (in feathers around neck, ingested, and some did get onto his face which we rubbed in. There’s a chance it is sunburn; our coop has a roof and the trees and houses nearby provides adequate shade, but he does have a bad leg and lays around a lot, so could have been lying in a sunny spot for several hours. Any thoughts?
58CA1C58-BE3C-407A-8067-D73B8AA8A447.png

Attachments

• C7125897-9C7D-49A1-9F5F-EEE4BE03BC1F.png
    C7125897-9C7D-49A1-9F5F-EEE4BE03BC1F.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 15
he did have a respiratory infection/virus last week but he recovered, and we did give him VetRX (in feathers around neck, ingested, and some did get onto his face which we rubbed in.
Has he recover from his respiratory illness?

I've found that VetRx can make the skin peel.

Rub a small amount vaseline into his comb, wattles, earlobes and face a couple of times a week, this will take care of the peeling skin.

Has he recover from his respiratory illness?

I've found that VetRx can make the skin peel.

Rub a small amount vaseline into his comb, wattles, earlobes and face a couple of times a week, this will take care of the peeling skin.
Yes, he did recover completely. And good to know! I thought it was strange because it was oil. And sounds good; I already have a designated chicken vasaline from when I was worried about frostbite. Thanks!

My chickens all have that because of the winter, I applied organic coconut oil to their waddles once a day for a week and its fine. No after photos, but here is before

IMG_2147.JPG

Yes, he did recover completely. And good to know! I thought it was strange because it was oil. And sounds good; I already have a designated chicken vasaline from when I was worried about frostbite. Thanks!
Right. I thought the same thing too about it being an oil too, but I suppose some of the other ingredients must be irritating. I tried it too, but it made the skin really peel, so I just used vaseline - Works like a charm! vaseline is much cheaper too;)

Back
Top Bottom