Peep Palace - Coop build

LJ33

Songster
7 Years
Jul 7, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Ive had chickens most of my life, but always had barns so never had to build a coop until this year as we bought a house on 1/3 acre last fall. I took the main coop idea from https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/follow-along-on-my-coop-build.1358512/page-3#post-22495814 and there is a PDF for a free plan there. I needed a bit more space, so did a little tweaking. We also have a bigger fenced area, so did not need to do an enclosed run. I used stick and peel tiles for the floor (we did not make the pull out tray) and are using regular roofing tiles in stead of corrugated metal (or whatever you call it). We also didn't make as tall as those plans due to needing it to stay no taller than our 6 foot fence. It still gives them plenty of space to go under there. Its about 18 inches from grass to floor. I am installing hardware wire around the wood fence and dug into the ground to help keep critters out. We are making nesting boxes inside instead of sticking out the side. We only have the one big door for now, its big enough to gather eggs and clean. I want to get one of the auto doors for the side. (chicks are only 7 weeks now, so we have some time to fine tune. I have a stain sealer paint, but might add siding later. Need to build their ramp and roosts. We ordered a net for the top and will add a post in the middle so that doesnt sag. (we have a lot of predator birds here such as eagles, hawks and turkey vultures)

Its 6ft by 4 feet, with a 5 foot to 4 foot slope front to back (does that make sense?) Their outdoor run area is approx 16 ft by 16ft. There is ventilation in the back as well as the sides and front. Got a wireless thermometer for the inside so we can monitor temps.

tune)
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.JPG
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.JPG

Add- Im using livestock pasture fencing for their "run". We used 2X6 treated for the roof joists bc we had a bunch of scrap wood to save cost. The base and posts are also weather treated. and we did put another latch for the top of the door- we realized it was so big that it needed one at the top and bottom to avoid bowing out.

Looking pretty good, other than I don’t see any windows. I see ventilation at the top sides, but that’s very little. Your birds will need a lot more ventilation. Make a couple windows that can be kept open with hardware cloth for protection. In winter you can close them.

Make sure the windows don’t cause a draft on your birds. This all depends on where you place your roosts. But, you want the heat and moisture to be able to escape.

Adding more pics to the thread. Got the gate fence and net up. The girls door is taken from an idea we found in the interwebs of using a cutting board and rope to pull (going to upgrade to the auto door someday) We have some strict rules, which is why we placed the coop where we did by the house. They have 500 sq feet of yard area. So should be plenty, and with the house, they have a bunch of shade throughout the day. We want to put more trim on the coop itself. Will be adding some fun stuff like a swing and table for them. And an upgraded ramp. But for now, they have a great space and very secure.
IMG_8618.jpg
IMG_8619.jpg
IMG_8620.jpg
IMG_8621.jpg
IMG_8622.jpg
IMG_8623.jpg
IMG_8624.jpg
IMG_8625.jpg
IMG_8627.jpg
IMG_8628.jpg

Looking pretty good, other than I don’t see any windows. I see ventilation at the top sides, but that’s very little. Your birds will need a lot more ventilation. Make a couple windows that can be kept open with hardware cloth for protection. In winter you can close them.

Make sure the windows don’t cause a draft on your birds. This all depends on where you place your roosts. But, you want the heat and moisture to be able to escape.
We have the vents in the front and sides. We also keep the big door open during the day. But we do plan on adding another good side vent window right above the big door. The "new" vent will have a door so we can close in the winter. The direction our wind typically comes and the fact they are nestled near the L Shape of the house and main back yard fence, they don't get a ton of wind in their spot.

Back
Top Bottom