Peep! Peep!

I think my chick bled to death.
I think maybe the mom stepped on the egg because there was a very large hole in the egg last night and blood.
My understanding (which could be wrong) is that the process is long and the reason is because the chick will absorb all that blood from those tiny blood vessels outside it's body as well as the rest of the yolk sac in the those hours while it is pipping and hatching.

In my chick's case, it appears the hole was made by the mom, maybe her foot, and not the chick, and it bled to death.

I think my chick bled to death.
I think maybe the mom stepped on the egg because there was a very large hole in the egg last night and blood.
My understanding (which could be wrong) is that the process is long and the reason is because the chick will absorb all that blood from those tiny blood vessels outside it's body as well as the rest of the yolk sac in the those hours while it is pipping and hatching.

In my chick's case, it appears the hole was made by the mom, maybe her foot, and not the chick, and it bled to death.

That's likely. Chicks do have to absorb the blood from their vessels.

It is somewhat normal, though it can meant he chick will have trouble getting out. If the chick continues to have trouble you can carefully help pick the ring around the egg and then let it push out on its own. We did this with a chick that had a too hard shell and it is doing great at over a month of age.

Baby Cakes, hatching from a green shelled egg

I hear peeping from under my hen!
But I can't see anything.

Will she smother the chick?
Should I move her and look?
Don't mess with the hen while the chicks are hatching.The last thing you want to do is upset the hen now while they're hatching and take a chance on her abandoning the nest. She knows what she's doing. Chickens have been reproducing for thousands of years without human interference. If the hens didn't instinctively know what they were doing and suffocated their babies, there wouldn't be any chickens now. They'd have gone extinct with the first generation. I would suggest going in the house, make your self some lemonade, enjoy the day and don't go near that nest again until tomorrow. If all the eggs were set at the same time, the ones that are going to hatch will have done so, and the hen will be ready to take care of her babies.

Back
Top Bottom