PEEP! there hatching!!!! *pictures and LIVE VIDEO* setting again

ep.gif
my little threw together in 20 minutes cost me nothing incubator had a 7/8 hatch :O and there all good looking chickys

wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Very nice !

I may not have as good of luck... went out a few minutes ago, and my broody was sitting on the wrong nest
somad.gif

her eggs were pretty cool.. but I threw her back on them and I have my fingers crossed
fl.gif

sad thing is... they are due to hatch on christmas eve... 3 days away... I hope i got her back on them in time

you would be amazed my incubator temps went from 98.7 to 101.9 humitity went from 10-70% though the whole hatch and i only lost one egg didt have to help a singe one

Last edited:
I am not trying to hijack your thread at all, i promise
smile.png

but I wanted to give you an update on my ...erm... not so smart broody.

I went out just now, and listened next to her box for a sec (as I have done for a few days now)

muffled, (peep) !!

I may have messed up a bit when I loaded her up... she went broody on the 1st or 2nd... not real sure, I think it was the morning of the 2nd..
I saved up some eggs from the ladies I want chicks from, got 6 and loaded her up on the 4th.
but..
when I loaded her up, I found she was sitting on 1 egg and the 2 golf balls, I marked the egg that was there and added the 6 others (and
removed the golf balls)

(this is my 1st broody in case you haven't figured that out yet)

So... I may have one chick tonight, and provided she sits on the rest, 4 or so more on the 24th. ( one wasn't fertile, threw it out last week
leaving 6 under her, and I think that there is one that stopped developing last week, but I left it, just in case)
I have read that they will keep sitting for up to 72 hours, hopefully Bugsy will do this, although.. she can't even remember what nest to sit on...

time will tell..

Did you candle to check for not fertile? (wondering as I am a first time broody mama's mama and I've not candled any eggs (shes out in the coop and its really cold so I have not wanted to mess with her more than to mark eggs so I can get the newly laid ones out from under her - our other hens love this one nest box most) I have heard "bad" eggs could pop and get nasty goo n the others - they are due New Years Day - thanks ahead for your advice!

Quote:
I have a small flashlight that has 6 really bright (blinding) LED lights in it. It was cheap.. 6 or 8 bucks. I went out at night while everyone was sleeping, I left the light off in the coop. and this is the very important part... If she is facing you, wait until the next night! hehe she will peck at you for reaching under her like that
smile.png
(she is a sweet girl, but broodys are kinda mean, I try not to upset her)

that being said, I waited till a night when she was "butt out" if you will.. and had no problems I reached under her and grabbed an egg, put it in my hand wrapping my index finger and thumb around it and the rest of my hand over the flashlight ( hope that made sense...) If you need reference pictures, there is a sticky at the top of the page. I was surprised at what all you can see. The one that was not fertile was really easy to spot.

check the pictures in the sticky to compare with what you see.
I have 1 dark blue one that I can not see through, and one deep brown that is difficult, but I can see enough to tell its developing.

now, I think its time for me to go listen at my broody again
smile.png

I am super excited if you couldn't tell hehe
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom