Peepers are OFF! Girls are okay.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dr.Doorlock, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    I took the pinles peepers off my hens today. Since I just got the hen you see below, they needed to have full vision just to stay away from her. The 7 RIR pullets are about the same size, but this new black hen keeps them busy staying their distance. She set up a new pecking order, but she seems only aggresive if they invade her space. A quick lesson stays with the pullets before damage is done.

[​IMG]

If you know anything about the behavior of this breed, I could use the news.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    That looks like a black sex-link. We've got one and she's our hands-down favorite girl: fantastic personality and sweet sweet sweet!

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Yes, that's what she looks like 'cept she's a bit lean . . . young?

I imagine that she's stressed out and that may explain the aggression. It might also explain the "fighting trim."

Doc, I hope you watch for the posts of those folks with pecking problems and share your experience with the Peepers. I'm sure there aren't chicken-keeping experiences that are worse than the self-inflicted problems that some flocks have. Your ability to deal with the problem with good humor and, most important, success should be shared.

(And, I've had a heck of a good time laughing at the pictures [​IMG].)

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by